We recently asked freelancers from the BuzzFeed Community for advice they would give to new freelancers. Here's what they said...
1. Separate your workspace from your "living space."
2. Dress for the job you want!
3. Don't start working without a contract.
4. "Backup plans are your best friend!"
5. Adding a purposeful "mistake" can help you with picky clients.
6. Promotion is everything!
7. Working with a tax accountant can help you in the long run.
8. "Don't sell yourself short."
9. Set up a private "work number" that's separate from your personal phone number.
10. Make sure to set hard deadlines with your clients.
11. It's more important than ever to connect with your network.
12. A good attitude can be the one thing to set you apart from the rest.
Note: Submissions have been edited for length, grammar, and/or clarity.