These tips are not a replacement for professional self-defense courses or help from the authorities, but they could definitely help you out of a jam.
2. Stop someone from targeting you in an elevator by stopping at every floor.
Let’s say you’re entering your apartment building or leaving the office late at night and an unfamiliar person follows you onto the elevator. Press all of the floor buttons. No one will dare to attack you if the door is opening constantly.
Use this tip sparingly and trust your gut. Best case scenario: You’ve avoided an attack. Worst case scenario: You’re now the building’s Buddy The Elf. But, whatever, you’re alive and unscathed.
3. If someone tries to to rob or attack you in your home, head for the kitchen.
(Obviously, if you have access to a phone, dial 911 first.)
Only you, the person who lives there, knows where you keep the knives, breakable plates, and spices that could potentially be turned into harmful weapons. If all else fails, just start screaming and throwing utensils and pans to create noise to alert neighbors.
5. If someone tries to attack you on the street, do not stand still.
Even if you’re not an athlete or trained in self-defense, you have the capabilities to fight someone off. Inexperienced fighters are prone to standing still, so remember to utilize all available body parts, like your knees, elbows, and legs.
6. Download a few safety apps for your phone.
If you’re running solo or traveling late at night, Stay Safe lets you enter your expected travel time and route and, if you don’t check back in with the app in time, automatically alerts a set list of emergency contacts.
My Panic Alarm turns your iPhone into a loud, flashing alarm with just the touch of one icon.
7. Memorize some basic pressure points.
This way you can protect yourself without overexerting.
Try to stay as calm as possible and pay attention to position of the attacker to determine the best place to strike if they provoke you. For instance, do not step in closer to hit their nose with your hand if you’re in the right spot to reach their knee with a kick.
8. Know the right way to use Mace.
Do you have a can of pepper spray lying in the bottom of your bag, but actually have no idea what to do with it in an emergency? Here are some tips on how to effectively use it without harming yourself.
Find out whether pepper spray is legal in your area here.
12. Follow this advice.
- A second wave of bomb threats sent to Jewish community centers in the evening brought the number of locations threatened on Monday to 29.
- Accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers fessed up to the massive Oscars oops that caused "La La Land" to be named best picture instead of "Moonlight" 🙊
- President Trump accused Barack Obama of organizing recent protests against him and leaking information from the White House to the press.
- Elon Musk announced that his SpaceX company will send two tourists around the moon by 2018 🚀🌝