27 Helpful Tips For Starting A Gluten-Free Diet
If you're mourning the loss of sandwiches, bagels, and pasta, this is for you.
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
1. Start by cleaning out your pantry and fridge. You can't eat gluten if there is no gluten in the house to eat!
3. Give yourself time to grieve the loss of your favorite foods you shall never eat again, but remember – these foods are now your enemies.
6. Believe me when I tell you there are supreme gluten-free foods out there, that taste waaaaaay better than gluten trash – like these chocolate almond butter tarts.
7. Come to terms with the fact that you will be doing a lot of cooking.
8. Seek help from GF or paleo cookbooks. Ready or Not! is a paleo cookbook tailored to whatever cooking level you're up for.
9. But before you get too far in your chef adventures, understand what gluten is, and watch out for places where it likes to hide.
12. Do even more research on those substitutes and GF grains, and stock up on your personal favs, such as buckwheat.
14. Alright, so you're doing all this cooking and healthy shit, but you really miss cookies, decadent brownies, and loaves of fresh bread. I feel you. Try this GF cookbook to ease those cravings.
15. Then throw all those GF bread recipes in a bread maker for yummy fresh bread with minimal effort.
16. Be sure to eat plenty of healthy fats and oils, so you can feel satisfied without having to eat tons of starch. Salmon and avocado salad will accomplish this.
17. Treat yourself to a two-pack of doughnut pans so you can hop aboard the gluten-free bagel and doughnut train 🚂.
20. Find your people and stick with them. Anyone that is more upset than you are over not being able to eat pasta, or whatever, is not your person.
25. Stick to it. Stick to it. Stick to it! The cravings will pass.
27. And of course, where would we all be were it not for the existence of flourless (and thereby GF!) chocolate cake? Make yourself one right now.
You after reading this post.
The reviews in this post have been edited for length and clarity.