1. You should make more pies. Start here.
Your pie won’t be bad. Even if it’s ugly or slumpy, the filling too runny or too stiff, the crust too tough or too crumbly — if you made it yourself, there’s really no way it won’t taste good. PROMISE.
If you’re still not convinced that this deliciousness lies within your power, here’s a step-by-step guide to making a flaky crust that you can fill with any fruit you like. Really. (Any fruit!)
Ready? LET’S ROLL.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2/3 cup vegetable shortening (if the idea of shortening scares you, use another fat like butter or lard)
About 6 tablespoons ice water
For this rhubarb filling recipe, and to save and print the pie crust recipe, go to Food52.
- Donald Trump was sworn in today as the 45th president of the United States of America. 🇺🇸
- Over 90 people have been arrested as anti-Trump protesters and police clash in Washington, DC, during the inauguration.
- As one of his first acts as president, Donald Trump announced the end of certain Obama administration climate and pollution rules.
- US officials didn't know drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán was being extradited from Mexico to the United States until the day it happened.