You're going to be surprised by how easy this is.
1 cup raw almonds (not roasted)
5 1/2 cups filtered water — 2 cups for soaking the nuts, 3 1/2 cups for blending
3 to 4 pitted dates OR 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup (optional, to taste)
3 pieces vanilla bean, thinly sliced crosswise OR 1 tablespoon vanilla extract OR 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (optional, if you'd like vanilla-flavored milk)
1. Soak the almonds in water overnight.
2. Drain the almonds and put them in a blender with 1 1/2 cups fresh water and flavorings.
3. Blend on high speed for about 3 minutes.
4. Line a sieve or colander lined with a few layers of cheesecloth to strain the mixture through.
5. Pour your almond gunk slowly into the sieve and let the liquid drain into a bowl below.
6. After about 20 minutes, squeeze the almonds to extract every last drop of milk.
7. If you aren't using the milk immediately, pour it into a jar and refrigerate.
What to do with your new magic milk? Well...
Make chia seed pudding.
Or a smoothie.
Use it in your oatmeal.
Or your dessert.
To print or save the DIY Almond Milk recipe, click here.