1. The current issue of Allure magazine features the stunning Salma Hayek on its cover.
2. Inside of the special issue, called “Amazing Hair,” readers find pages of hairstyle tutorials — including one for Afro hair…
3. Featuring a white woman…
5. The editorial, titled “You (Yes, You) Can Have An Afro*”, stars actress Marissa Neitling from the TNT TV show The Last Ship. It offers a step-by-step for how to get what Allure calls a “Loose Afro.”
6. The “Loose Afro” is a part of the magazine’s “Retro Modern” ’70s-inspired styles, which seem to feature only white women.
8. Not only did the magazine choose to not use a black model with straight hair, it failed to reference the very sacred and political context of the natural style, worn during the American Civil Rights era as a symbol of black pride and protest for equality.
9. The reaction: PISSED!
“Everybody wanna be black but nobody wants to be black ! #allure #Afro #naturalHair #mediaTakeout”
“Shout out to @Allure for their tutorial on #CulturalAppropriation (i.e. teaching white girls how they too can make their hair into an afro). Here’s to the authentic Afro 🏾🏾 To quote the incomparable @amandlastenberg, ‘Don’t Cash Crop on My Cornrows’ #TeamNatural #Afro #RockRoughAndStuff #NappturallyBeautiful #Beautiful #Natural. #Wellesley #AmandlaStenberg #Allure #AllureMagazine”
“This is a perfect example of when a staff has no Diversity on their team to tell them to rethink their delivery.
#afrochicas #allure #realtalk #blackhaircare #curls #rizos #america #magazine #wewantwhatwecanthave #race #alluremagazine @allure”
We are #people, not #costumes.
Not #fashion statements.
I thought #Afros were #dirty NSFW #ugly smelled bad #controversial #inappropriate a #distraction #attentionseeking TOO BLACK.
Man, I’m so sick of this mess- I promise.
Either #love us [not what we create] or you leave us alone P.S. THAT’S A #TWISTOUT, GIRL. #BLACKGIRLMAGIC”
“I knew this would happen but I’m surprised at how fast it happened. We are really the trendsetters. They admire us but we never get credit. #afro #kinkycurly #naturalhair #naturalbeaty #kinky #allure”
18. Allure tells BuzzFeed Life that the Afro has a rich cultural history.
“The Afro has a rich cultural and aesthetic history. In this story, we show women using different hairstyles as an individual expressions [sic] of style. Using beauty and hair as a form of self-expression is a mirror of what’s happening in our country today. The creativity is limitless—and pretty wonderful.”
- Donald Trump slammed the CIA after reports that the agency believes Russia used hacks to try to help him win.
- Rudy Giuliani is no longer being considered for a position in the Trump administration. Trump says the former NYC mayor withdrew his name.
- Fire investigators have ruled out a refrigerator as the cause of a warehouse fire that killed 36 people in Oakland, California.
- The world's oldest known breeding seabird just laid another egg. Her name is Wisdom and she's 66 🐦