Update - Sept. 17, 12:45 a.m., EDT: An ESPN spokesman tells BuzzFeed that Mike Tirico informed him that the line described below “was an unintentional error” and that after saying “the Giants,” Tirico “needed to make Washington plural and misspoke.”
Tirico also just tweeted out something to that effect:
.@awfulannouncing sorry no political statements here, just tripped over a word. I called the team the Redskins during last weeks game.
3. With numerous media organizations choosing not to call Washington’s football team by its longtime name, it didn’t go unnoticed tonight on Monday Night Football when ESPN’s Mike Tirico referred to them as the “Washingtons.”
.@miketirico? RT @victorromero55: Just heard Tirico say “the Washingtons” on MNF. Conscious decision to not use “Redskins” on air?
Anyone catch Mike Tirico referring to DC’s football team as “The Washingtons”? #MNF #Steelers #Bengals
Did Mike Tirico just refer to the Redskins as the Washingtons?
Unless I am deaf, I think @miketirico just referred to the #Redskins as “The Washingtons” - Curious if he meant to - #MNF #NFL #ESPN
8. Tirico did call Washington’s game last Monday night against Philadelphia without noticeably avoiding the “Redskins” name, so there’s a reasonable chance this was more a mental hiccup than protest.
9. On the other hand, it was immediately after referring to Tom Coughlin’s team as the Giants, not “the New Yorkers.” We’ve reached out to ESPN for comment. We’ll update when we hear back.
- A second wave of bomb threats sent to Jewish community centers brought the number of locations threatened on Monday to 29.
- Trump accused Barack Obama of organizing recent protests against him and leaking information from the White House to the press.
- Accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers fessed up to the Oscars oops that caused "La La Land" to be named best picture instead of "Moonlight."
- Elon Musk announced that his SpaceX company will send two tourists around the moon by 2018 🚀🌝