1. Thanks to a stunning sequence of events, the defending NFC champion 49ers clinched a playoff spot and sent their fans home happy in (perhaps) the final game ever at Candlestick Park.
2. The Falcons didn’t make it easy. Tony Gonzalez scored what looked to be the final TD in the stadium’s history with just over two minutes remaining.
3. Atlanta was now down by only three and team owner Arthur Blank was PUMPED.
4. The Falcons then recovered one of the most fortuitous, bounciest onside kicks in NFL history. The ball just went under NaVorro Bowman’s right arm — and into Jason Snelling’s for the recovery.
5. And with the Falcons driving and the 49ers’ playoff chances hanging in the balance, the miraculous happened:
6. It was Bowman himself who pulled off one of the all-time YOINKS in NFL history and took the pick to the house for the game-clinching score.
7. Colin Kaepernick was stunned.
8. And so was Matt Ryan.
9. Christmas came a wee bit early in the Bay Area, and Candlestick Park went out in grand style.
- The U.S. Justice Dept. will seek the death penalty for Dylann Roof, the suspect in last summer's Charleston church shooting.
- Police are removing thousands of refugees from an informal refugee camp on Greece's border with Macedonia.
- A Pennsylvania judge has ordered Bill Cosby to face trial for a felony sex-assault case from 2004.