1. Thanks to a stunning sequence of events, the defending NFC champion 49ers clinched a playoff spot and sent their fans home happy in (perhaps) the final game ever at Candlestick Park.
2. The Falcons didn’t make it easy. Tony Gonzalez scored what looked to be the final TD in the stadium’s history with just over two minutes remaining.
3. Atlanta was now down by only three and team owner Arthur Blank was PUMPED.
4. The Falcons then recovered one of the most fortuitous, bounciest onside kicks in NFL history. The ball just went under NaVorro Bowman’s right arm — and into Jason Snelling’s for the recovery.
5. And with the Falcons driving and the 49ers’ playoff chances hanging in the balance, the miraculous happened:
6. It was Bowman himself who pulled off one of the all-time YOINKS in NFL history and took the pick to the house for the game-clinching score.
7. Colin Kaepernick was stunned.
8. And so was Matt Ryan.
9. Christmas came a wee bit early in the Bay Area, and Candlestick Park went out in grand style.
- The drug that killed Prince is causing an unprecedented wave of fatal overdoses, federal health officials say.
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 250 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.
- WhatsApp will start sharing your account info with Facebook. You can decline the new policy, but must opt into it first 📲😵