31 Starter Kits To Help You Find A New Hobby
Now you finally get to achieve your dream of being "that one neighbor who is always trying to give away their homemade pickles" at long, long last.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A gorgeous beginner-friendly pastel paint-by-number with an end result so beautiful you'll want to frame it in the front hall — nay, tack it right to the front door. Wreaths are for squares.
2. A copy of The Book of Myself: A Do-It-Yourself Autobiography in 201 Questions to get you into memoir, in guided questions and prompts. It's perfect for any stage of life, whether you're looking for something structured and soothing to focus on or a way to help help you preserve your favorite memories.
3. A beginner's guide to calligraphy that is far more thorough and specific about technique and ink types than other versions, and will have you writing inspirational messages to your friends and drafting fancy invitations to your dog's Zoom birthday party in NO time.
4. A beginner-friendly fermenting kit complete with everything you need to "set it and forget it," so you can serve yourself lil' sides of pickled things with your dishes like a fancy farm-to-table restaurant.
5. A microgreens growing kit for beginners that comes in two forms — one that grows grass that cats LOVE, and another for garnishing on human food. These also happen to be *perfect* for small spaces with low lighting, so you can have your plants and eat them, too.
6. Or a bonsai starter kit to help you grow not one, but *four* bonsai trees, so they can create their own squad goals when you perch them in every corner of your bedroom.
7. A set of cat-themed tarot cards purrrfect for first-timers, complete with a guide on how to pull the cards and how to interpret them. You'll be doing readings for everyone from yourself to your BFF to your actual cat by the end of the week.
8. A teensy make-your-own cheese set with everything you need to learn to make four batches of farmer's cheese and live your most delicious life in a half-hour.
9. A Gaiam starter set for yoga complete with all the basics, including a yoga mat, a yoga block, and a stretching strap, so you can tune into free yoga classes you gain access to with the set. Achieving mindfulness and flow each day before work? Bring it om.
10. An at-home alcohol infusion kit that comes with everything you need to become a cocktail wizard from the comfort of your own couch — I'm talking spicy pineapple tequila, blueberry lavender gin, spiced orange whiskey, the whole shebang. Your bar cart is salivating.
11. A beginner's embroidery kit for adults, so you can have something soothing to do with your hands while you binge yet another Netflix series full of murder, murder, and a side of...well, murder. (At least now your stitching will be tighter than the main suspect's alibi!)
12. A string art kit so you can create art with a genuine pop! of dimension in your bedroom that'll have everyone on FaceTime going, "Oooh, where'd you get that?"
13. A beginner's sushi-making kit that'll let you take the fate of your rolls into your own hands by working with whatever ingredients you have on hand, so you can have hours of delicious sushi experimentation.
14. A paint-by-sticker set made up of vintage travel posters you can hang up on your walls when you're finished, essentially letting you travel the world without getting up from ye olde couch.
15. A unicorn slime making kit, because truly the most universal human experience is that deep down inside we all just want to stretch out a big ole glop of bright pink glittery slime.
16. A beginner-friendly DIY LED speaker project designed for ages twelve and up that'll *seriously* take your living room dance parties to the next level once it's done.
17. A DIY hot sauce making kit with guided instructions to help you start tailoring your *chef's kiss* perfect sauce, letting you experiment with spice levels and flavors with guided recipes so later you can go forth and make hot sauces all by your spicy self.
18. A beeswax candle kit so you can finally live out your "Serenity By Jan" destiny and create an entire shelf full of scented goodness.
19. A friendship bracelet making kit so you can live your best Babysitter's Club life and start sending them in personalized colors to everyone you know.
20. A starter's weaving kit to make gorgeous pastel tapestries and help il-loom-inate you to what just might be your coziest hobby yet.
21. A shea butter lip balm DIY kit so you can create a customized one for every single day of the week *and* gift a few of them to your friends to match.
22. A beer-making kit to make Afternoon Wheat beer with a ~floral~ aroma, a thematically appropriate toast to spring and to the beginning of a delicious new hobby.
23. Or a whiskey *and* rum making kit complete with its own cask that you get to cure like a real pro, and different essences so you can tailor your drink to your palate (not making any promises that I won't try to make my own Fireball, y'all).
24. A murder mystery box kit to give you all of the hands-on fun of sleuthing through grim and compelling clues without all the uh, general badness of actual murder.
25. A DIY puffy sticker book complete with material to make your first 60 (!!) puffy stickers, because nothing says "chaotic good" quite like puffy stickering your entire universe, from your laptop to your fridge to your own face.
26. A beginner's butter churner complete with a recipe book so you can finally become the captain of your own condiment ship. Your fridge will be full of so many butters (raspberry butter! truffle butter! CHOCOLATE BUTTER!) that there won't be enough bread in the world to satisfy you.
27. A terrarium essentials kit that comes with everything you need to start building the perfect itty bitty homes for your succulents, so they can be as cozy in their little room as you are.
28. A beginner's crochet kit, which comes with all the basic tools you'll need, plus detailed instructions for over 30 different simple projects like blankets and beanies and scarves. Once you get the hang of this you'll be the coziest punk in town.
29. A felt succulent kit to ease you into the ridiculously adorable glory of hobby felting, and also give you the smug joy of being a plant parent without the burden of actually having to, y'know, keep them alive.
30. A tie-dye kit because honestly, we've all been waiting for the moment we just *snap* and tie-dye every piece of fabric in our wardrobes in glorious technicolor, and there's no time like the present.
31. A kombucha starter kit that comes with everything you need to perfect a basic version of the brew and set you on the path to making the baddest 'booch in town.
Reviews have been edited for length and/or clarity.