Since viewers last saw the staff of Downton Abbey relaxing by the ocean, the show’s metaphorical waters seem to have gotten rougher. In a new trailer for Season 5, which will premiere in the U.K. at the end of September and in the U.S. in January, the house appears riddled with secrets, scandals, stolen grandchildren, fires, and lots and lots of flirting.
3. Lady Edith (Laura Carmichael), really the only sensical one at the home, offers a realistic warning.
4. In true Downton form, the house is immediately filled with guests.
5. There is entertainment — and liquor — aplenty.
6. And Mr. Carson (Jim Carter) and Mrs. Hughes (Phyllis Logan) are dutiful as ever.
7. But something has the dowager (Maggie Smith) so shocked that she is ripped from her chair!
8. Perhaps it has to do with the countess (Elizabeth McGovern) giggling with a man who isn’t the earl (Hugh Bonneville).
That’s actor Richard E. Grant (Girls, The Iron Lady), playing Downton newcomer Simon Bricker.
9. Or whoever the earl finds in bed with Jimmy (Ed Speleers)!
10. Or sweet Daisy (Sophie McShera) threatening to leave the abbey!
11. It also appears that Lady Mary (Michelle Dockery) has finally moved on after the death of her husband — with Lord Gillingham (Tom Cullen).
12. But wait! Is that the abbey on fire?! And who is running through it, and who is being rescued?!
13. Is Branson (Allen Leech) carrying little Sybbie and George out of harm’s way?!
Such a good father and uncle.
16. Watch the full trailer here:
17. Downton Abbey will premiere Sunday September 21 on ITV, and Sunday January 4 on PBS’ Masterpiece. Check your local listings for details.
- Donald Trump, who wrote a book about his ability to get deals done, lost in his highest stakes negotiation yet — the battered GOP health care bill.
- A viral Instagram post falsely claimed 14 black girls went missing over 24 hours in Washington, DC, but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Now lawmakers are taking action.
- Apple says a hacking group that's threatening to wipe hundreds of millions of iPhones has not breached its iCloud system 📱
- Hi Stranger: A bizarre short film featuring a naked mumbling figurine is making everyone on the internet uncomfortable 🙃