In case you missed it, Taylor Swift has dropped the video for "Delicate," the fifth song to be released from her album Reputation.
1. Taylor hinted at part of the video when she announced its release.
2. Taylor renamed the hotel where the first half of the video is set to "Hotel DeliCAT," because of course.
3. And of course, snakes make an appearance in the video too.
5. Much like the video for "...Ready For It," many of the lyrics to "Delicate" feature as graffiti in this video.
6. And Taylor also passes a sign reading "Joe's Deli."
7. The words "track 5" are also graffitied on one of the pillars in the subway station.
Including a reference to this in-joke is a nice nod to fans, but also an acknowledgement that this is the first time any fifth track from a Swift album has been given its own video.
8. The fact that Taylor's dress is blue is significant.
Reputation features a track called "Dancing With Our Hands Tied" in which Taylor uses the lyric: "My love was frozen / Deep blue but you painted me golden."
9. And just look what the name of the bar is.
10. What's more, Golden Gopher is actually a real dive bar in Downtown LA, in keeping with the reference to a dive bar in the opening verse of "Delicate."
Needless to say, fans are finding the reference emotional.
12. Oh, and if you remember the "Look What You Made Me Do" lineup theory, the Fearless callback in this video makes even more sense.
Well, we know that "Delicate" was the fifth track on Reputation, meaning that it was represented by the Fearless-era Taylor in the lineup. The callback to the lyrics of "Fearless" in the video for "Delicate" has, therefore, made fans lose their minds.
13. Taylor often returns to the subject of rain and water as metaphors for finding inner strength, and it's no different here.
During her 1989 world tour, Taylor gave a speech each night before performing "Clean" – a song which uses water, storms, and floods as metaphors for cleansing oneself and moving on from a traumatic breakup. During the speech, Taylor said:
You are not damaged goods or money from your failed explorations. You are not the opinion of someone who doesn’t know you. You are a product of the lessons you have learned. You are wiser because you went through something terrible. And you are the person who survived a bunch of rainstorms and kept walking. I now believe that pain makes you stronger. I now believe that walking through a lot of rainstorms gets you clean.