1. KALE (Health Score: 1,392)
More Vitamin K (good for your blood) and lutein (good for your eyes) than you need for the day, and plenty of Vitamin C (good for your immune system, heart, skin and lots of other stuff), too. Show off.
7. PEAS (Health Score: 173)
Carrots are great, but peas have enough nutrients, including iron (great for your muscles), folate (aka folic acid, a vitamin especially important for women before and during their pregnancies), to hold their own.
8. TOMATOES (Health Score: 136**)
With all that Vitamin A (boosts your immunity, vision, and reproductive health) and C, you should probably toast yourself for having some.
9. ASPARAGUS (Health Score: 134**)
All that magnesium (an excellent energy booster) makes the smelly pee totally worth it.
17. POTATOES (Health Score: 64**)
With all that iron, Vitamin C and potassium, is it any surprise Sam Gamgee was looking for some on the road to Mordor? I think not.
**1 small potato with skin
18. CORN (Health Score: 58)
Should I make fun of how non-nutritious high-fructose corn syrup is or would that be too corny?
20. BEETS (Health Score: 43)
Still enough potassium and fiber to inspire a band.
*Food Day explains how the vegetables were scored and ranked:
“We calculated a score for each vegetable by adding up its percentage of: (1) the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) or Adequate Intake (AI) for seven nutrients, (2) the Daily Value (DV) for fiber, and (3) the daily targets that we’ve devised for lutein (plus zeaxanthin) and carotenoids other than lutein…
We counted calcium, iron, folate, and magnesium in our scores but they’re not in the chart. Ditto for carotenoids other than lutein, which include alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, and lycopene. We included lutein in the chart because of growing evidence that it may help prevent cataracts. There is no RDA or AI for lutein, so we set our own (3,000 micrograms) based on studies on cataracts. (The RDAs and AIs—daily targets set by the Institute of Medicine—vary slightly by age and gender. We picked the highest level for adults, excluding pregnant and lactating women.)”
For more information on the methodology behind the rankings, click here.
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren went full "nasty" on Trump, saying "nasty women" are going to cast their "nasty votes" on Nov. 8 🙋
- French authorities have begun moving thousands of migrants and refugees from the makeshift "Jungle" camp in Calais.
- "She's not responsible for the journalism mistakes": Why Jackie won't be outed in the Rolling Stone trial.
- These parents came up with maybe the best dirty Halloween couple's costume ever. Parents ftw 😂👏