3. And then there was the thing that came after. The thing we won’t say. The thing that reminded you: Oh yeah, I’m a Caps fan.
4. Because it’s hard being a Caps fan. You learn to fear springtime. Since the Caps went to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1998, Washington’s had nine playoff trips — and only three series wins.
8. Take Alex Ovechkin. He’s coming off an MVP season, and he’s still getting better at right wing. He’s a veteran now in his 9th NHL season — but he’s only 28.
10. Braden Holtby’s between the pipes — and oh yes, over the past three seasons, he’s got a 93% save percentage in even-strength play, seventh best in the league.
He’s got help, too. Mike Green, Karl Alzner, and John Carlson are dominant on the blue line.
11. And yeah, there’s that power play — which scored on an insane 27% of its chances last year.
12. Maybe they’re not the front-runners this year. But this team is pretty talented.
13. So this is no time to stop rocking the red.
16. Why not a season with a reigning MVP leading the way? Why not Nicky and Greeny and the rest of these guys?
18. Unleash the fury, boys.
- The White House continued to defend rolling back Obama-era transgender protections, with Sean Spicer repeatedly insisting it's a "states' rights issue."
- Recreational marijuana needs "greater enforcement" of federal law, said Spicer, pitting the White House against eight states that legalized recreational use.
- Beyoncé has pulled out of performing at the Coachella festival, citing doctors' advice about keeping a less rigorous schedule while she's pregnant 🐝😭
- Indiana police released chilling audio in the case of two teens found dead in the woods: a voice captured on one of their phones saying "down the hill."