25 Things That’ll Help You Break The Ice In Your New Dorm
~I can tell that we are gonna be friends.~
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A standing mirror with built-in storage and LED light, because the dorm room with the best lighting for makeup and mirror selfies will undoubtedly become the spot to be.
2. A set of flameless LED candles that'll ensure the vibe in your dorm is ~lit~ without becoming a literal fire hazard.
Promising review: "Too cool! Looks super realistic! I read the reviews and was kind of on the fence but went ahead and ordered two. So glad I did! Great investment. I was looking for an alternative to actual candles to light up my new apartment and these flameless ones sufficed! Looks so real my sister was surprised and didn't believe they were artificial. The cool thing about them being battery-operated is that you don't have to have all the candles in one place." —Diane
Get it from Amazon for $26.99 (available in four colors).
3. A subscription to Hunt A Killer — an immersive murder mystery game that brings new clues to your door every month. This game is a great way to bond with others as it involves working together to solve exciting mysteries. The fact that each chapter arrives monthly will keep everyone in suspense!
Promising review: "Hunt A Killer is the best purchase I've made in a very long time. The story and evidence are extremely well put together and thought out. It's challenging, but not impossible. We are excited each time we get a new episode to see what kind of evidence and challenges lie within." —Jaqueline
Get it from Hunt A Killer for $25+ monthly.
4. A handheld milk frother that will cement your role as the in-house barista for your entire dorm. But *do* be careful, with great power comes great responsibility...
5. An air purifier with a fragrance sponge to help keep the air in your room clean, because we know how important that is these days — especially with all the new people who'll be coming in and out!
Promising review: "Absolutely love! Purchased three of these for the bedrooms of our house. This helped tremendously when recovering from COVID-19 to help keep the air clean while quarantined. It's also very quiet on level one. I had never owned one of these before so I did notice the temperature in my room is slightly colder when turned on but that's understandable as it's part of its job. The blue light is perfect at night, or if you have kids it doubles as a night-light." —Queen
Get it from Amazon for $49.99.
6. A mini Keurig coffeemaker perfect for keeping you and all your new friends caffeinated — especially during midterms and finals. It gets bonus points because the single-serve function benefits your wallet, your nerves, AND the planet.
Promising review: "I bought this coffeemaker when moving into my freshman college dorm and it is the best purchase I have made! It is skinny and small, perfect for a dorm or apartment. It is also single-serve, which saves a lot of material since I am only making one cup at a time! Definitely worth the investment." —Moni
Get it from Wayfair for $99.99 (available in five colors).
7. A trivia party game called "Brilliant or BS?" to get to know your new friends on a deeper (more deceptive) level REAL quick.
8. A wicker papasan swivel chair that's just *begging* you to come curl up inside of it. Maximum coziness *and* maximum cuteness — who among us doesn't dream of that combination? This comfy seating addition is sure to draw in some new friends to your dorm.
Promising review: "Absolutely love this chair! The cushion is very comfortable — great for sinking in to read, watch TV, play on the Wii or even nap. My nieces and nephew climbed all over it and it didn't break, very sturdy. It even spins which was a happy surprise. Worth the money!" —Samantha
Get it from Amazon for $195.99+ (available in 17 colors).
9. A double cereal dispenser to bring the best part of the dining hall up to your room. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day after all, why not share it with your new dorm-mates?
Promising review: "It was worth the price as our cereal boxes would always somehow be left open (by no one at home, apparently) and our cereal would constantly go stale. This was the solution to our cereal problem. I like that it's not extremely bulky and does not take up a lot of room. It also has a nice clean look to it. It is super easy to maintain. I wipe it down every day and it stays looking brand-new and shiny." —Candy
Get it from Wayfair for $26.85+ (originally $41.04+, available in four colors).
10. An egg cooker that I can attest is absolutely EGGcellent! It is SO easy to use and perfect for when you oversleep and miss the breakfast hours at the cafeteria. With this device you can make breakfast for you and all your friends, right in your dorm room!
I'm ~literally~ making eggs as I type this...
Promising review: "What a wonderful little gadget! Eggs came out perfectly and peeled so much easier than boiling them. I’m more of a set-it-and-forget-it type person than a watch-the-pot-boil-and-set-a-timer kind of person. They cooked for 10 minutes and were wonderful." —M
Get it from Amazon for $16.99+ (available in five colors).
11. A magnetic dart board set to give everyone something to do with their hands during those first few awkward moments in a hangout session.
Promising review: "I bought this as an impulse buy for my 20-year-old son's dorm. He’s home with us for vacation and the whole family has had so much fun with it! We’ve all been playing it for days now so I might get another to leave at our house. Great fun for a low price." —Roxy
Get it from Amazon for $19.99.
13. A game called Lightning Reaction Reloaded that will test your reflexes and the pain tolerance of all your new friends. Break this out to zap the life back into a semi-boring gathering.
14. A silicone popcorn popper to help you make that absolutely *perfect* bowl of microwave popcorn (without setting off the smoke alarm) that dorm-life seems to make everyone crave. It's the perfect snack for sharing during movie nights and study sessions.
15. A Wi-Fi-enabled projector to ensure your movie nights go down in college history and are revered in hushed tones for generations to come.
Promising review: "This was my first projector and for the price I am very happy with it. The picture quality is pretty decent and excellent in complete darkness. I have only used it inside to sub for a TV and the volume is more than perfect (only need projector volume at about 25 if the computer or phone volume are at full capacity). What I really liked about this projector was that it did not have to be completely flat for a clear image and had angle and focusing adjustment options. The remote works great and has good options." —Vanesa
Get it from Amazon for $189.98.
16. A SodaStream bundle because there's nothing more alluring than being the room where dorm-mates can get carbonated bevies after all the campus stores close.
Promising review: "We drink seltzer on a regular basis — this makes excellent, strong seltzer, and you can flavor it to your own taste. Device is easy to use, and is eco-friendly. No more bottles or cans of seltzer! I heartily endorse this device, it really works well!" —Gene
Get it from Amazon for $189.99.
17. A smart wireless essential oil diffuser which can be controlled from your phone so your dorm can be known as the one that always smells like a luxurious spa.
Promising review: "I absolutely love my Wi-Fi diffuser. I was able to connect it to my Alexa. I’m able to schedule times for it to turn on, and my apartment always smells amazing. This diffuser is worth every penny. I’m planning on purchasing another one for my master bedroom." —Carmen
Get it from Amazon for $39.95.
18. A mini tabletop billiards set that will definitely have your peers endlessly flocking to your room to play. The nice part about this pool table is its portability, so when your roommate needs to study, you and your billiards crew can simply relocate to the lounge!
19. A DIY mani-pedi kit because a spa night is simply unmatched in its ability to break the ice with a new suite- or roommate. Plus, a free manicure is a luxury no one could possibly turn down — especially on a tight student budget!
Promising review: "I’m so glad I bought this nail manicure set! It has helped me save tons of money! It comes with a tool to clean your nails and has so many different heads based on your needs! There is also a bucket that you can put iced water in to soak your nails in, as well as a quick dryer underneath that helps dry your nail polish faster! It’s super easy to use no matter how basic or professional you are because this product gives you all the tools you need to have perfect nails!" —Ke Xu
Get it from Amazon for $69.99.
20. A SeoulBox subscription so you can get 18 authentic Korean goodies including snacks, skincare, and other exciting items delivered to your dorm each month. Share your new snacks with everyone on your floor to go from strangers to lifelong friends!
22. A pack of "I Dew Care" sheet masks to share with up to 14 of your new suite-friends for a fun self-care night.
23. An inflatable lounger that can be easily inflated for extra seating and deflated for storage. This bad boy can also come anywhere with you — on or off campus — and become a comfortable couch within minutes!
24. An LED party light to create an on-demand club inside your dorm room. These little lights even sync to the beat of whatever music you play to craft the *perfect* dance party ambience.
Promising review: "I am a ride-share driver driving in a college town and this disco ball is a hit! It works fantastically and has so many different modes and makes my car stand out in a crowd so not only can my passengers find me more easily but it creates a happy and fun atmosphere!" —Sharri
Get it from Amazon for $12.99.