1. New Year's Eve began with police issuing many, many warnings against drinking and driving. They often had a little fun with the messages.
3. They also gave a look at what it takes to get ready for duty on New Year's.
4. But in spite of the warnings, some people hit the liquor pretty early. At 6 a.m. in St. Catharines, Ontario, police busted a drunk driver.
5. ...after he did this with his pickup.
6. A little while later somebody in Barrie, Ontario lost their phone.
7. First responders were kept busy when two dogs fell through some ice.
8. Somebody also lost a parrot.
9. Toronto Police spent the night tweeting call after call. They responded to a possible drunk driver in the McDonald's drive thru.
10. Two guys tried to break into a Boston Pizza after hours.
11. People played pranks.
12. Shirtless dudes brawled in a parking lot.
13. As expected, drunk tanks began filling up in different parts of the country.
15. Families had issues.
16. Out in Vancouver, Superintendent Michelle Davey live tweeted the night. She saw a lot of "#liquidcourage taking effect!"
17. A group of guys fought each other with their man purses.
18. Someone tried to break into a liquor store.
19. Supt. Davey also offered some fashion commentary.
20. But the tweet of the night belonged to Toronto Police and one man's bulge.
Craig Silverman is Media Editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in Toronto.
Contact Craig Silverman at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.