That’s Miss Alice Reighly, the first president of Washington, D. C.’s Anti-Flirt Club.
“The Anti-Flirt Club was an American club active in Washington, D.C., during the early 1920s. The purpose of the club was to protect young women and girls who received unwelcome attention from men in automobiles and on street corners. The Anti-Flirt Club launched an “Anti-Flirt” week, which began on March 4, 1923.” (Wikipedia)
“The club had a series of rules:
• Don’t flirt: those who flirt in haste oft repent in leisure.
• Don’t accept rides from flirting motorists—they don’t invite you in to save you a walk.
• Don’t use your eyes for ogling—they were made for worthier purposes.
• Don’t go out with men you don’t know—they may be married, and you may be in for a hair-pulling match.
•Don’t wink—a flutter of one eye may cause a tear in the other.
•Don’t smile at flirtatious strangers—save them for people you know.
• Don’t annex all the men you can get—by flirting with many, you may lose out on the one.
• Don’t fall for the slick, dandified cake eater—the unpolished gold of a real man is worth more than the gloss of a lounge lizard.
• Don’t let elderly men with an eye to a flirtation pat you on the shoulder and take a fatherly interest in you. Those are usually the kind who want to forget they are fathers.
• Don’t ignore the man you are sure of while you flirt with another. When you return to the first one you may find him gone.”
(right) Confronting “slick dandified cake eaters.”
Alice, winking and flirtin’ with disaster.
- Immigrants are worried two government memos are laying the groundwork for the deportation force Trump promised on the campaign trail.
- A federal judge ruled that Texas can't cut Planned Parenthood out of its Medicaid program.
- According to the World Bank, a child born in 2014, on average, will live for more than 71 years.
- A 2-year-old boy lost a race at school after he spotted his dad and ran to hug him instead of crossing the finish line 👦💨💞