That’s Miss Alice Reighly, the first president of Washington, D. C.’s Anti-Flirt Club.
“The Anti-Flirt Club was an American club active in Washington, D.C., during the early 1920s. The purpose of the club was to protect young women and girls who received unwelcome attention from men in automobiles and on street corners. The Anti-Flirt Club launched an “Anti-Flirt” week, which began on March 4, 1923.” (Wikipedia)
“The club had a series of rules:
• Don’t flirt: those who flirt in haste oft repent in leisure.
• Don’t accept rides from flirting motorists—they don’t invite you in to save you a walk.
• Don’t use your eyes for ogling—they were made for worthier purposes.
• Don’t go out with men you don’t know—they may be married, and you may be in for a hair-pulling match.
•Don’t wink—a flutter of one eye may cause a tear in the other.
•Don’t smile at flirtatious strangers—save them for people you know.
• Don’t annex all the men you can get—by flirting with many, you may lose out on the one.
• Don’t fall for the slick, dandified cake eater—the unpolished gold of a real man is worth more than the gloss of a lounge lizard.
• Don’t let elderly men with an eye to a flirtation pat you on the shoulder and take a fatherly interest in you. Those are usually the kind who want to forget they are fathers.
• Don’t ignore the man you are sure of while you flirt with another. When you return to the first one you may find him gone.”
(right) Confronting “slick dandified cake eaters.”
Alice, winking and flirtin’ with disaster.
- Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, is cold-emailing potential candidates to serve in a potential Trump administration 🔴
- Hillary Clinton's campaign is making an unprecedented play for Utah, a state that hasn't gone blue since 1964 🔵
- In case you were wondering, no — a big cyber attack couldn't swing the election.
- Kesha fans rejoice: Sony just confirmed that a new album is in the works 🎵