Green Egg Salad Sandwiches
What better way to celebrate summer than with a beautiful and scrumptious picnic? Creamy avocado adds a tasty twist to this classic sandwich for a must-have meal.
1 large avocado
1 stem celery, diced
1 bunch dill, chopped
4 sprigs parsley, chopped
1 bunch chives
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon paprika
1½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 head green lettuce
Sliced whole wheat sandwich bread
1. Place eggs in a large pot and fill it with cold water until they are completely covered. Bring the pot to a boil, then remove from heat and place the lid on the pot. Set it aside for 12 minutes, then drain the eggs from the hot water and place them in a bowl of ice water to cool.
2. While the eggs are cooling, peel the avocado and remove the seed. Mash with a fork in a large bowl and add in the celery, all of the chopped herbs, mayonnaise, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper.
3. Peel and chop the cooled eggs into ½-inch cubes, or simply mash them with a fork. You can also use a potato masher to do this part quicker!
4. Mix the eggs into the avocado and herb mixture. Stir it together well, then taste and season the salad with more salt or pepper if needed.
5. Lightly toast two slices of bread per sandwich. Place green lettuce on a slice of bread, then top with a large scoop of egg salad (about ½–¾ cup) and the other slice of bread. Enjoy!