Easy Unicorn Cake
A unicorn lover's dream come true!
Easy Unicorn Cake
2 boxes vanilla cake mix, prepared according to box instructions
½ teaspoon each pink food coloring
½ teaspoon purple food coloring
½ teaspoon blue food coloring
5 cups powdered sugar
1½ cups butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¼ cup milk
½ teaspoon pink food coloring
½ teaspoon black food coloring
1 ice cream cone
1 cup pink sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F/180˚C.
2. In a large bowl, prepare 2 boxes of vanilla cake mix according to the package instructions.
3. Fill 3 separate bowls with 1 cup each of cake batter and dye one batter pink, one purple, and the last one blue.
4. Pour the remaining batter into two round 8-inch baking pans and one loaf pan that have been lined with parchment paper.
5. In random places, place spoonfuls of colored batter on top of the plain batter.
Using a toothpick, mix the colors together until the batter looks marbled.
6. Bake all 3 cakes for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cakes cool on a cooling rack completely before assembling.
7. Using a hand mixer, mix powdered sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and milk until well combined to make the frosting. Set aside 2 small bowls of frosting and dye one pink and the other black.
8. Assemble the cake by placing one round cake on the serving dish and spread a layer of plain buttercream frosting on top. Place the second round cake on top of the frosting.
9. Cut two of the corners off of the loaf cake to make ears. Spread frosting on the inside of the ear and stick to the top of the round cakes at 10 o’clock & 2 o’clock. Cover the top and sides of the cake with the plain buttercream leaving a semicircle at the bottom for the pink frosting. Frost the semi circle and the side with the pink buttercream, saving some for later.
10. Put the black frosting into a resealable bag and cut off the tip of the corner. Decorate the cake with eyes, nostrils, and a smile.
11. Cover an ice cream cone with the remaining pink frosting and pink sprinkles. Place the cone in between the ears and gently push into the cake to secure. Decorate with more pink sprinkles around the horn and on the ears.