23 Problem-Solving Hair Products 4C Reviewers Swear By
My all-time favorite leave-in conditioner, a dope steam cap, and things your hair will love.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. Melanin Haircare Multi-Use Softening Leave In Conditioner is the answer to your low-porosity 4c hair woes. It's got ingredients Afro-textured hair can't get enough of, like aloe vera, argan oil, jojoba oil and more!
2. Mielle Organics Babassu & Mint Deep Conditioner is a cult-favorite for a reason. The formula restores dry and damaged hair by cradling every strand with all-natural botanical extracts and amino acids.
3. Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Curl Smoothie won't break your hair or the bank. Most natural hair products are water-based, but aloe is the main ingredient here — and your hair will feel the difference. The coconut water will naturally balance and hydrate your lovely coils.
4. Curls Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Jelly brings out the best in your kinky curly tresses. Prepare to have "waves on swim so they hate on him," or whatever Nicki Minaj said.
5. Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave-In Conditioner is yet another amazing product curated by the woman who literally coined the LOC Method. This product is tailored for busy people in need of a reliable daily moisturizer. Hence, the spray bottle minimizes mess.
6. Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker is beloved across textures for its nourishing mix of marshmallow, agave, seaweed, aloe, and vitamin E.
7. Curl Dynasty Kalahari Smoothie Leave-In does double duty and never clocks out early. It functions as a leave-in AND a styler. The formula has enough slip to make detangling easy and painless. It's humectant-free, so your hair won't swell too much either.
8. Like Wu-Tang, Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme is for the children (and any adult looking for a less scented version of of Curly Buttercreme). This product is what put Miss Jessie's, a Black-owned business, on the map. The reviews speak for themselves, expect moisturized curls for about a week — with minimal refreshing.
9. Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic Curl Stimulator comes out swinging — and gets better with time. Leave it to a Black-owned company with nostalgic branding to create a product that makes curls pop like Michael Jackson in the '80s. You'll have no problem making your hair last for the week.
10. Thank God It's Natural Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer proves that natural hair products really can work for everyone. The formula seals in moisture while giving every strand a chance to shine.
11. Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner breathes life into flattened curls. There's not too much frizz and virtually no build-up. A self-declared, "detangling powerhouse," the product has honey which is basically a moisture magnet. There's also aloe, coconut oil, and a splash of liquid silk to keep your strands velvety and soft.
13. Pure Tea Tree Essential Oil proves simpler is better, in a lot of cases. Since it's an anti-fungal, tea tree oil works wonders for itchy, dry scalps, acne, and endless ailments — for under $10.
14. Satin-lined Grace Eleyae Silky Beanies will save your hair a whole lot of moisture and keep it hydrated. As a person who's too lazy to do their hair, but has to look presentable from time to time, I love these.
15. Now Foods Castor Oil is thick enough to use for hot oil treatments or just to seal your ends. If you have coarse, thick hair, this will help it retain moisture for days.
16. Donna Premium Collection Jumbo Shower Cap will keep your hair dry without flattening it. As you can see, it's definitely large enough to hold some pretty big hair.
17. Heat Free Hair "For Kinks" Clip-Ins can be dyed or straightened to blend seamlessly with Type 4 hair. And it doesn't have that weird residue or smell fresh out of the package.
18. Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer easily took my 4c hair from sopping wet to very straight in minutes. Its state-of-the-art heat sensor prevents it from causing catastrophic heat damage to your hair.
19. Hair Rules No Suds Cleansing Cream helps normalize oil production, reduces irritation, and cleanses hair without leaving it bone dry.
20. Glow By Daye Deep Conditioning Thermal Heat Cap makes deep conditioning easier than ever. It's microwaveable so you don't have to sit under a dryer to achieve pillowy curls.
21. Aphogee Two-step Treatment Protein for Damaged Hair has revived my fragile hair on more than one occasion. Heat-activated proteins and magnesium repair the hair structure so it's more balanced and less prone to breakage.
22. Maple Holistics Biotin Hair Shampoo to help with shedding by depositing biotin, a naturally occurring vitamin, where it's needed — your hair. It made a world of difference 😱 for the person pictured below.
23. Rucker Roots Daily Leave-In features biotin, castor oil, and vitamin E that'll keep your hair moisturized without causing product buildup.
Reviews have been edited for length and/or clarity.