Curly kale is fibrous and grassy tasting, so it’s not the *best* for salads, unless you really love chewing.
In general, lacinato kale works better.
It’s a little bit sweeter and more delicate (less crunchy and easier to chew) than curly kale, and its ribs (that hard stalk that runs through the middle of each leaf) are edible, so you can use the whole leaf.
Recipe: Raw Kale Salad with Turnips
6. Once you’ve sliced the kale, let it sit with a little oil and salt for about half an hour before mixing with other ingredients and dressing.
Kale leaves have a natural waxy coating that is great for protecting them from rain. Unfortunately, it also protects them from salad dressing, which does not make for a delicious salad. Rubbing the leaves with oil before dressing them actually removes this waxy coating, so that the leaves better absorb the dressing.
Or, use a warm vinaigrette, which will cook the leaves *just* enough to take a little bit of the harsh raw crunch out.
Warm (not hot).
12. If you hate raw kale, you can always make a cooked kale salad. Try roasting the leaves.
Roasting the kale will soften it and make it a little bit sweeter. Remember to remove the center stems before you roast the kale leaves.
- It's Day 2 of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. Here's what you need to know🇺🇸
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a church attack that killed a priest in northern France on Tuesday.
- 🍎📉: Apple's business is declining due to slowing iPhone sales, but the company is still making a ton of money.