1. Burgers from Kuma's Corner
Kuma's is a Chicago institution, and it's home to the metal-est burgers on Earth. In fact, every burger they serve is named after a metal band, from the Black Sabbath Burger (blackening spice, housemade chili, pepperjack, red onion), to the Slayer Burger (10-oz patty on a bed of fries, chili, cherry peppers, caramelized onion, andouille sausage, monterrey jack cheese, green onion, and ANGER). Nothing short of epic.
2. Italian Beef from Al's Beef
3. Ramen at Ramen-san
4. Steak at RPM Steak
5. Traditional and Chef-Driven Tacos at Big Star
6. Inventive American Cuisine at Girl & the Goat
Chicago is a major hotspot for inventive New American cuisine, and Girl & the Goat is one of the best places to experience this new wave of modern cooking. Every dish on the menu is interesting and delicious, but the most popular is the Wood Oven Roasted Pig Face, pictured top left.
7. Deep Dish Pizza at Lou Malnati's or Pequod's
8. Charcuterie at Publican Quality Meats
9. Inventive Michelin-starred Fare at Alinea
There are only a handful of restaurants in all of America that hold three Michelin stars, and Chicago's Alinea is one of them. You may have to make a reservation months in advance, but it's an experience like no other and perfectly captures the creativity and innovation of the Chicago food scene. Plus, it's beautiful!