Attention Parents, These 42 Things Will Help Solve So Many Summer Problems
Bug bites, sunburns, and post-swim hair tangles — there's something on this list to make your life as a parent easier this summer.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A coconut and shea butter moisturizing detangler with 12,000 5-star reviews (!!!) raving that it's the BEST STUFF ON THE PLANET. Just a few spritzes will combat summer hair woes — from making knots vanish after a swim to taming frizz when humidity is *through the roof.*
BTW, it's not just for kids, adults love it too.
Promising review: "All I can say is WOW!!!!! This is by far the best conditioning spray I have purchased. I have spent a lot of money on the expensive 'miracle detanglers' and 'miracle brushes,' coconut oils and hours combing out big knots in my daughters hair when this is all that’s needed! Her hair is a disaster full of knots after the beach. I sprayed this on before going to the beach and it made all the difference in the world. Goes to show that the expensive stuff is NOT always the best. PLEASE DON’T EVER STOP MAKING THIS!!!!!" —G
Promising review: "Best detangler ever for our 4c hair! I bought this originally for my daughter who is starting to comb her own 4c hair. I knew from experience what an arm-breaking task it was. But she managed with no problems so I tried on my hair. Comb just glides through and leaves your hair so soft. Best of all, no sulfates, parabens, or phthalates! Love this product. Highly recommend." —Kindle Customer
Get a pack of three from Amazon for $13.47.
2. A 3-in-1 swim shampoo, conditioner, and body wash for kids that'll gently cleanse and repair damage to hair and skin caused by chlorine, saltwater, and the sun.
Promising review: "Will never go swimming again without this. I am so incredibly impressed with this shampoo/conditioner/body wash. My daughter has super sensitive skin and goes to swim class once a week in a heated, super chlorinated pool. Her hair and skin feel horrible after class, despite a shower. I used this one time, and I am a believer. Her hair and skin were so much softer and not irritated. Love, love, love!" —Jennifer Conicella
Get it from Amazon for $11.99.
3. A deet-free, plant-based bug repellent made with lemon eucalyptus oil that *actually* works to keep mosquitos at bay — even if your kiddos are absolute bug magnets.
Promising review: "After an endless amount of North Carolina spring/summers searching for a 'safe for the family' repellent, I stumbled upon this. I had ordered a bottle of Skedattle repellent and a three-pack of this because the reviews for both were high and seemed like a sure thing. The three-pack of this was the same price as one bottle of the other. Well, the Skedattle didn't do anything for those freaking mosquitoes, they still swarmed us like we weren't even wearing anything. But this product, OMG! It actually worked, and not only did it just work, it worked GREAT! I tried a few different trips with this stuff on, and the kids use it every time they go out, and we hadn't had a single bite with it on. I will say though, it has a VERY strong smell, and you definitely want to make sure you reapply this as needed, but other than that, it's a great product. I won't use any other spray from now on." —Will M.
Get it from Amazon for $4.97.
4. Or a bug bite suction tool invented by a mom that's worth the Shark Tank hype. This ingenious device sucks out all kinds of bug bites, instantly relieving itching and swelling, so your kids aren't left scratching all day.
Promising review: "This is a MUST-HAVE in our household. I was a huge skeptic but decided to try it out of desperation. My youngest daughter is highly allergic to mosquito bites and gets huge welts that itch horribly after being bit. This product drastically reduces her swelling and itching. All of my girls (and myself) immediately ask for it after being bit. It takes away, or at least drastically reduces, the itching immediately. We also used it on fire ant bites, and my daughter said they felt better almost immediately!" —Reyka Smith
Get it from Amazon for $9.90 (available in two colors).
5. A TikTok-famous Tushbaby hip carrier to spare your back and do all the heavy lifting while you hike around theme parks this summer with a baby or toddler who clings to you like a Koala. The best part? It has a ton of storage pockets for your snacks, phone, wallet, and more!
Tushbaby is a small biz run by three California mamas and specializes in products that bringing a little more ease to everyday parenting life.
Promising review: "I cannot speak highly enough about this product!!! My 6-month-old wants to be held constantly and this is the answer! I can seriously hold him for long period of time (being an hour or more) and not feel any pain or discomfort!!! I LOVE the added pockets, I keep wipes, a diaper, toys, cellphone and wallet in there. It is amazing the ease and accessibility that they provide. I ordered the leopard print and its so cute!! I have already used this not only at home, but at a theme park and outdoor festival all day. I can NURSE my baby easily with him sitting in front and keep walking! Seriously amazing and such a game changer for a mom with 2 other children to keep up with!" —MamaShops
Get it from Amazon for $84.99.
6. A two-pack of truly spill-proof Contigo Trekker Autoseal water bottles if you're fed up of dripping wet backpacks and car seats because the kiddos don't properly close water bottles. This bottle (aka the answer to every parent's prayers!) boasts an ingenious one-touch lid that automatically seals between sips so you can say goodbye to spills — en route to sports practice, summer camp, or school!
Promising review: "I love these. The design is perfectly simple. They fit in cup holders and backpack pockets. The button is easy to use. Closing the lid is one turn. They don't have weird straw contraptions that are hard to clean, go missing or get chewed through. They don't leak. I can throw them in a lunch box, backpack, my own purse, and never have to worry about there being water issues. The fact that I get two for $12 is a bargain! I bought one set for kindergarten, which lasted all school year and summer. My son has motor delays, so we've been through a lot of types of water bottles. I wish we'd found this sooner. Highly recommend." —Wendy
Get a pack of two from Amazon for $17.25 (available in four color combos and also in three-packs).
7. An SPF 50+ "sport-brella," boasting a 360-degree swivel and a universal clamp that can latch onto nearly anything — making it the perfect solution for creating *instant shade* for your wagon or stroller!
Promising review: "Best baby product I've ever come across. This umbrella is AMAZE-BALLS! I have a radio flyer wagon with the roof, but I hate that I having to stoop and bend to see my daughter. So I don't use the roof usually, and use this instead, so I have her in my sight all the time. I also use it on our stroller, for when the sun is off to the left or right or in front of us. I used to finagle with a blanket to drape and block the sun, but this is so much easier! I also use it at the beach, where my daughter decides to set up camp with her sand toys. I usually hook it on a beach chair and set it next to her while she's playing near the water, to provide some shade. I'm sure I'm forgetting some uses, but I think I'm going to start gifting these at baby showers to anyone who even remotely enjoys the outdoors." —Molly
Promising review: "I can't even rave enough about this umbrella!! It is awesome! I was looking for something I could clip onto my kids' foldable wagon, and this is PERFECT! It has so many pivot points; you can make it work pretty much anywhere. We attach it to one end of the wagon, and it covers the entire thing, but as the sun moves, we can adjust it to keep them in the shade at all times. We get stopped all the time by people asking where we got this umbrella!" —SCHMLL6
Get it from Amazon for $21.99+ (available in two sizes and eight colors).
8. Or a bestselling stroller wagon hybrid with *built-in sun shades* and all-terrain wheels that'll give your back a break by hauling all your stuff and your too-exhausted-to-walk babies all at once at the beach or playground. Reviewers swear it'll put any double stroller to shame because it maneuvers like a dream *AND* it's much more roomy and comfy for the kids (who will be so thrilled to sit facing each other!).
Promising review: "Need a wagon? Have two kids? Look no further! I’ve been trying to find a functional wagon for my kids that will work with them sitting but also having leg room and space. This wagon is a godsend. I used it at our state fair, and it was AMAZING. We push it like a stroller, and it is effortless but VERY durable. I told my husband I’d be willing to have another kid just to use this wagon. Is it pricey? NOT FOR THE QUALITY. Trust me. I don’t review anything, but this was worth its weight in gold." —Amanda U.
Promising review: "In love with our new swagon! After much research on double strollers best suited for an infant and a toddler, I came across the concept of a stroller wagon hybrid. I was sold and so happy I found the Evenflo Pivot Xplore! We've owned it for almost a week, and my husband, toddler, and I are all pretty geeked about it! First impressions: It's everything you could want in a 'swagon' — it's durable, comfortable, easy to maneuver, and easy to fold. To top it all off, it comes with all the bells and whistles like sun canopies, snack tray, drink holders, and a storage basket included! We ordered the car seat adapter directly from Evenflo and can't wait to tote toddler and baby around!" —Kelsey
Get it from Amazon for $319.99 (available in three colors).
9. A pack of silicone dino ice pop molds if the kids won't stop begging for ice pops all day but you don't wanna give them sugar-infused store-bought ones. Just fill these with juice, yogurt, or smoothies to make more ~dino-mite~ versions.
Promising review: "These are unbelievable. We have the dinosaur ones and they are absolutely adorable. The mold peels off beautifully, and the size is just right for my preschoolers. I'm making healthy smoothies (frozen spinach! Chia seeds! Ground flax!) and making popsicles with them, and my kids think they're eating a fun dessert. Brilliant. I'll be giving these as gifts for a good while." —LucieBlue
Get a pack of four from Amazon for $13.25.
10. And a pack of dishwasher-safe ice pop sleeves so your little one don't get frostbite (JK!) while enjoying cool treats ~and~ aren't covered head to toe in a drippy mess. Win-win!
Promising review: "You guys! This product right here is a GAME CHANGER! I was going through so many paper towels a day to wrap said popsicle. As you all know, we were in a paper product shortage, so these babies were life! I just throw them into the washer and pull them out, and they dry fast! You can add vinyl and put a name on it, too. We have two packs of these and travel with them as well. We probably eat 10 popsicles a day 😂, and my toddler's hands don’t freeze, so it’s a 100% in my book." —Rose W.
Get a pack of eight for $12.97.
11. A set of lunchbox-sized reusable ice packs that might make you think Elsa ~put a spell~ because these will keep kids' lunches, snacks, drinks, and even breastmilk basically ❄️Frozen❄️, even on a 90+ degree day.
Promising review: "These ice packs work great and stayed frozen solid for 8 hrs in my kids insulated lunch boxes. I originally bought them to travel with a frozen breastmilk and they worked great for that as well. I was hoping that I could empty, refill and freeze again so that I could travel with these packs but when they say 'reusable' they do not meal refillable - once you seal them the first time you fill them, they can be frozen and defrosted, but not emptied." —Marie M.
Promising review: "These freezer packs are the bomb! They kept all of the drinks and snacks in the cooler ice cold for the entire day that we spent on the lake in 90 degree weather. It was so nice to not have to deal with ice and draining the cooler. I highly recommend these to anyone." —Joan Benson
Get a pack of three from Amazon for $28.99+ (also available in cooler and all-purpose sizes).
12. A extra large mesh bag capable of holding a ton of beach toys but draining out all the sand because "I want to bring that sand home as a memento" — said no parent, ever.
Promising review: "Ok. I never leave reviews but I HAD TO on this!!! MOMS.....BUY! BUY! BUY! we have six kids ranging from 2 months to 13 and our annual beach trip was coming up this past June. I wanted a beach tote that sand wouldn't collect in. I saw this and thought I would try it. I figured it wouldn't be as big as I needed. Fast forward to the day it came in...OMG it is was HUGE in person. Guys, I fit four sand buckets, four sets of beach toys, four small boogie boards in this thing and still had a TON of room to fit more! My only regret was that I didn't buy more than one! This would also be great for laundry, or anything!!!!!"—Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $10.99.
13. A stroller fan with bendable foam legs that'll wrap around a stroller, car seat, or pretty much anything to keep your lil' munchkin cool as a cucumber, even when it's a gazillion degrees outside.
Promising review: "Absolutely love this thing! I didn’t expect much of it but after reading the awesome reviews I decided to give it a shot. It has flexible tripod legs that are able to wrap around things and stand upright as well as a moveable head. It is super efficient for its size and I love that it also has an LED light that I was unaware of. My little girl has a low heat tolerance so this is just what I needed to keep her cool in the heat. Thank you for an amazing product. Worth every penny!" —Olga
Get it from Amazon for $29.99 (available in three colors).
14. Or a rechargeable handheld fan because — just like the reviewer below says — it'll become the MVP of your day and save many camping trips and sports events from being ruined by sweltering heat. The only downside is the entire family will be fighting over it.
Here's why BuzzFeed editor Ciera Velarde loves this:
"I bought this to take on a summer trip to Disney World and let me tell you — it's the only way I survived!! Every day got well into the 90s, but I kept this pointed at my face whenever I wasn't soaking up air conditioning. I was seriously impressed with how powerful it was and how I instantly felt less sweaty. The charge lasts about a day if you use it sparingly (or a few hours of continuous use), so make sure to charge it nightly if you're on a trip. The fan has three speed settings, and it folds so you can prop it up on a table."
Promising review: "ABSOLUTELY AMAZING PURCHASE! I wanted to carry the least amount of things in my tiny backpack to Disney World and this was my #1 most used item in the middle of Sumer (JUNE) in Florida 90+ degree heat and 80% Humidity. What a game changer, I’m mad at myself for not buying this sooner. The heat/humidity is absolutely horrendous either way, but this made it WAY MORE bearable. I used it almost 8 hours a day outside walking Disney World and the battery NEVER DIED. I recharged it each night and it was good to go the following day. BUY THIS!" —Lisa
Get it from Amazon for $15.99+ (available in five colors).
15. A Tagalong, aka an ingenious handle that can be attached to a stroller letting your older and (stubbornly independent!) kiddo hold onto it and walk by your side — so you'll have peace of mind knowing that they won't wander off and get lost in the crowds, no matter where your summer adventures take you.
Tagalong Kids is a small biz based in Pennsylvania started by parents who wanted to make it easier for parents to get around with multiple kids.
Promising review: "This thing is magical. We had one on a rented stroller when we were in Disney World and it blew our minds how our 'wild toddler' was staying next to us at all times while we had the Tagalong attached. When we got home, we knew we needed one for our everyday lives too. I wish we didn’t wait so long to make this purchase! We use it everywhere and it makes our little guy feel like such a big boy!" —Jennifer M.
Get it from Amazon for $8.99 (available in five colors and in a two-pack).
16. A cult-favorite stain remover that'll tackle the toughest stains — whether it's ice cream or BBQ sauce — so effectively it might make you say, "Whoa, what a difference."
Promising review: "This stuff is magical! It’s super easy to use, and it works on almost any stain! My daughter made fluffy slime today, and by the time she was done, there was purple fluffy slime all over her dress. I scrubbed it with this stain remover, and threw it in the wash thinking there’s no way the stains will get out. I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled the dress out, and there wasn’t a single remnant of the slime on it. It was a laundry miracle! Love this stuff and will continue to use it for everything!" —Amazon Customer
Get a pack of three from Amazon for $12.19.
17. Or an enzyme-based laundry stain remover because it knocks out stains so effectively in one wash, several reviewers have exclaimed, "this stuff is magic." I mean if it can make this kid's stained baseball pants look brand spankin' new again, imagine how handy it'll be for all your kid's fave summer outfits.
Puracy is small biz based in Texas specializing in plant-based, chemical-free, hypoallergenic home products, with a donation made to local families in need with a portion of every purchase.
Promising review: "I've tried several stain removers and have to say this stuff really does remove stains. It has removed: blood, grape juice, baby barf, chocolate, grass stains, sweat stains, melon, pretty much everything. I have to say I was almost shocked at how well this worked. My wife says they should rename it 'chill mom,' because she no longer worries about stains at all. That's priceless when you have a very curious and adventurous little boy who keeps finding new ways to get dirty." —Martin Isaksen
Get it from Amazon for $9.99.
18. A pack of ingenious collapsible pails for your next fam vacay because there's *never enough space* in your luggage. You'll thank me later when you don't need to shell out $$ on an overpriced set at the hotel gift shop.
19. A Wet Brush that'll glide through knotted hair after a swim to turn your kiddo's hair-brushing ordeal into a painless experience without *ouchies or tears* (for both of you). Just trust the 40,000+ people who gave it a 5-star review.
Promising review: "No more tears. Wet brushes take the tears out of brushing and detangling long wet hair, whether it is at the beach, river/lake, pool, or after a bath. It works well on dry hair, too!" —Babette C.
Promising review: "Great product. I have thick, straight hair. I have one son with thin 3c hair that very easily becomes matted, and a second son with 4c hair, and this brush works great for all of us! Just make sure to use a spray bottle with some water in it or a detangler if you are using it on dry hair" —M. Sloane
Get it from Amazon for $12.29 (available in 43 styles).
20. A two-pack of Munchkin Brica car window shades — a must-have for summer because they'll only doing a fab job of shielding your kids’ eyes from the sun during car rides, but also indicate when the car is too hot for little ones.
Promising review: "I love these so much! We live in Florida and have a bit of a commute to school/work, so I needed something to make my little one's ride a little more comfortable. The feature for when it is too hot is nice, not that I'll ever leave him in the car alone...and they are very durable on the windows. I wish they were a little wider for my window, but every car is different so not a huge deal. Great buy." —Amy Carber
Get a pack of two from Amazon for $15.41.
21. A Bissell multipurpose carpet and upholstery cleaner that parents (and pet owners) swear by — this small but powerful machine is shockingly effective at pulling out all the dirt and gunk uses warm water and a special formula. Especially useful for obliterating all kinds of pesky summer stains from milkshake and ketchup to grass and mud!
Promising review: "This is a game changer!!!! I have kids, two dogs, and a white couch. Prior to buying this, I was so stressed about trying to keep the couch clean. It had some stains I had tried everything on that just weren’t budging, and I was contemplating buying a new couch all together. Then I found this, and, let me tell you, it got the allll the lingering stains out and has tackled every mess that I’ve tested it on. I’m talking marker, mud, pudding, and coffee, just to name a few. Money well spent." —Jessica Gilman
Get it from Amazon for $123.59.
22. A Burt's Bees sunburn soother if — despite using sunscreen religiously — your kiddos still tend to get burnt after a day in the sun. It's made with aloe vera and coconut oil to gently alleviate pain, redness, and swelling.
23. A pack of cooling towels that'll feel like a *chilly slice of heaven* in sweltering heat and keep the little ones from overheating whether at Disney or sports practice.
Just soak the towel in cold water, wring out and give it a couple of snaps to feel instant relief.
Promising review: "We could not have survived Disney World without these handy dandy 'Chilly' towels! They helped keep us cool all day. We had them around our necks, my kids wore them as bandanas around their foreheads LOL, at some point I wrapped one around my thigh to relieve my hot legs!!! LOL I'm sure people thought I was crazy. They also served as a 'blanket' in cool seating areas inside the restaurants with high AC for my kids." —Sayra Lugo
Get a pack of four from Amazon for $19.99.