Feel that familiar pain and rage coming on? It’s your uterus’ way of telling you that you’re going to be out of commission for the next week.
Pretty soon, even you won’t want to be around you.
Also, you hate everything.
But PMS isn’t going to win this time. You’re going to be a real person with goals and non-elastic waistbands and plans that occur outside of your apartment. You. Got. This. Here’s how to be a lot less miserable in the process:
1. Have some wine with your cramps.
2. Pop OTC pain relievers before the pain starts.
3. Use an app to know when it's going to show up each month.
4. Make birth control your best friend.
5. Load up on dairy in the days before your period.
Calcium is actually a PMS crime-stopper. One study found that taking calcium supplements helped with mood, bloating, cravings, and pain. And more recent research points to a correlation between period troubles and intake of calcium and vitamin D. Fact: That wedge of brie has about a quarter of your recommended daily calcium.
6. Play Kim Kardashian: Hollywood to fight cravings.
7. Wash your face way more often.
A lot of people have oilier skin during their periods, which contributes to breakouts, dermatologist Dr. Michele Green told BuzzFeed Life. She suggests exfoliating with products containing salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide more often than you normally do while PMSing (so twice a week or every other day, depending on your usual routine). This will help dry out that excess oil and treat the pimples that already popped up.
8. Add some thyme to your tea for a DIY cramp-reliever.
9. Have sex to feel less pain and more awesome.
10. Give your breasts a break from caffeine.
If your bouncing boobs hurt so bad that you refuse to take the stairs, your coffee addiction might be the problem. “Caffeine can up the chance of breast cysts and cystic changes," says Dweck. If you drink a few cups a day and you are very aware of your boobs while PMSing, cut back on caffeine right before your period to see if it helps.
11. Eat all of the protein so you don't fall asleep at your desk.
12. Reschedule your waxing appointment.
13. Somehow, get yourself moving and sweating.
14. Swear off salt for 72 hours to feel less bloated.
15. Buy some lavender oil so you can finally sleep.
For most women, PMS = restless nights where you toss and turn so much that you're a sweaty, pissed off mess tangled up in your sheets by morning. Tons of research shows that lavender essential oil can help you sleep, so put a few drops on your pillow tonight. And if you're feeling really ambitious (and crampy), you can try this aromatherapy tactic from a study in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine: They combined two drops of lavender, one drop of clary sage, and one drop of rose in one teaspoon of almond oil and applied it topically in an abdominal massage. According to the study, this DIY remedy significantly eased their cramps. Good to know if you have a lot of time and random essential oils on hand.
16. Eat more veggies and less fat.
Thumbnail image credit: E! / Via atmosphree.tumblr.com/