1. Bean, Kale, and Egg Stew
Between the kidney beans, kale, egg, and cheese, each serving dishes up a solid 28 grams of protein. Get the recipe here.
2. Cashew Noodles with Broccoli and Tofu
Craving pasta? No problem, just add tofu, cashews and broccoli and you don’t have to feel bad about indulging. Recipe available here.
3. Black Bean, Arugula, and Poached Egg Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Between the black beans, the egg, and mmm… Fontina cheese (7 grams of protein per ounce), this gloriously stuffed sweet potato will leave both your mother and your trainer equally impressed. Recipe available here.
4. Peanutty Quinoa Bowls with Baked Tofu
Combine quinoa with peanut butter, tofu, and broccoli for this powerhouse of lunches. Check out the recipe here.
5. Black Bean Salad
Give yourself hefty portions (or add some jack cheese) to up the protein in this filling salad. Recipe available here.
6. Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie With Seitan
I know seitan feels like tofu’s weirder cousin, but with about 20 grams of protein per serving, it’s totally worth trying. Recipe available here.
7. Vegan Chili
Every good vegetarian needs a bean chili recipe in their arsenal. Just remember: Do all your eye rubbing before chopping the jalapeños. Recipe available here.
8. Bean-Kale Burgers With Sweet Potato Wedges
Pinto beans, kale, and jack cheese mean you get all the protein you gave up in beef, without all the heart disease, fat, and ethical implications. Recipe available here.
9. Brown Butter, Peas, and Mint Omelette
With 8 grams of protein in every cup, frozen peas can do more for your sore muscles than just ice them. Recipe available here.
10. Parmesan Broth with Kale and White Beans
Yes, you can make broth out of cheese. Add some kale and white beans and BOOM: protein soup. Recipe available here.
11. Egg in a Basket Grilled Cheese with Asparagus
Perfect for impressing the vegetarian you’re waking up next to, the egg (6g), Gruyère (10g), and asparagus (2g), makes this breakfast perfect for fueling up for round two. Wink. Recipe available here.
12. Crock Pot Lentil Vegetable Barley Soup
Lentils (50g/cup), split peas (48g/cup), and barley (23g/cup), all in one easy-to-make, throw-it-all-in-the-crock-pot meal. Can I get an amen? Or maybe just the recipe.
13. Corn Meal and Oat Waffle Mix
Sick of eggs for breakfast? Oats and corn meal will take care of you. Recipe available here.
14. Barley Risotto with Beans and Greens
Barley risotto: perfect for the ambitious, healthy-ish vegetarian cook. Recipe available here.
15. Vegan Tacos
Besides the beans, this recipe also uses soy chorizo (9g/serving) just in case you miss the real thing. Recipe available here.
16. Vegetarian Split Pea Soup Recipe
Start your meal with this protein-heavy soup and feel free to indulge in pure carbs for the rest of it. Recipe available here.
17. Leek, Artichoke, and Lentil Mung Bean Linguine
This dish is not just high in protein (20g/serving), it’s also gluten-free and vegan, making it perfect for even the pickiest of eaters. Recipe available here.
18. Baked Tofu and Quinoa With Chickpeas and Spinach
This is what you serve your carnivorous friends who tell you you’re not getting enough protein. Between the tofu, the quinoa, and the chickpeas, each serving packs in more than 32 grams. Recipe available here.
19. Meatless Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy
Tofu, oats, walnuts, and eggs all make this a ridiculously protein-y alternative to boring old meatloaf. Get the recipe here.
20. Italian-Style Spaghetti Squash with Tempeh
Tempeh’s not for everyone, but with 31 grams of protein per cup, the dense, nutty meat alternative is worth trying at least once. Get the recipe here.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty to the charges against him in the Charleston church shooting, his attorney said, but a judge entered a not guilty plea for him on Friday.
- The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for two teenagers who went missing a week ago off the coast of Florida.
- Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics, becoming the first city to host both the summer and winter games.