We recently asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us what they wish people knew about breast cancer. Here are their responses:
1. Breast cancer isn't something you can overcome with sheer will.
2. And dying from cancer doesn't mean someone didn't fight hard enough.
3. Breast cancer can hit anyone...
4. ...Of any age...
5. ...And any gender.
6. And most people don't know 'why' they got breast cancer.
7. Sometimes, all the pink ribbons and fun runs can be isolating and distracting.
"The party atmosphere often surrounding pink ribbon promotions and campaigns conceals the harsh, devastating effects of breast cancer. We are not celebrating a holiday. This is not a sporting event where the side wearing the most team colors wins. Many women afflicted by breast cancer are troubled with how the pink marketing culture has distracted us from the goal of a cure, and as someone diagnosed with the disease in 2011, I feel the same way."
—Camille Gryszka Miller, Facebook