Calorie counting is not for everyone! And that’s OK. But if you have certain goals, like building muscle, getting leaner, or losing weight, then being mindful of how much you’re eating can be super helpful to you.
Something else that’s important is to make sure that the foods you eat are high in nutritious value. Nutrients like protein, fiber, and fat can take a while to digest and help you feel satisfied for longer — meaning fewer cravings and lower general hangry-ness. (Here’s some more information about how many calories you should be eating, in case you’re curious.)
These dinners are all tasty and healthy, and they come with about 500 calories or less. Some may not work with your personal diet (the lower-calorie ones, in particular, may be bad choices for people who only eat three meals a day with no snacks). But you may just find something on this list that you like.
9. Spaghetti Squash With Spinach, Parmesan, and a Fried Egg
22.8 g protein
22 g fat (7.7 g saturated)
31 g carbohydrates (8.1 g fiber, 8.4 g sugars)
205 mg cholesterol
13. Veggie “Sushi” Rolls
Get the recipe here. To get the nutritional info down to around 500 calories, adjust the recipe to just 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast, and 1 teaspoon of tamari sauce. It’s just a touch over 500 calories…but it’s close enough.
14.2 g protein
40.9 g fat (8.5 g saturated)
33.1 g carbohydrates (19.2 g fiber, 6.7 g sugar)
1,321 mg sodium
14. Slow-Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken With Cauliflower Rice & Green Beans
32.8 g protein
8.2 g fat (1.5 g saturated fat)
33.2 g carbohydrates (9.1 g dietary fiber, 4 g sugars)
860 mg sodium
18. Chicken and Asparagus Lemon Stir-Fry
Get the recipe here. This one is also not quite under 500 calories, but that’s because we calculated nutrition info by doubling portion size recommendations.
82 g protein
14 g fat
20 g carbohydrates (6 g fiber)
874 mg sodium
- The Dakota Access Pipeline will no longer cross under a river near the Standing Rock Sioux reservation, a major victory for protesters.
- An armed man was arrested Sunday near a pizza spot named in a Hillary Clinton conspiracy rumor. Here's how "Pizzagate" was spread.
- The death toll from Oakland's warehouse party fire has risen to 33. "We're expecting the worst and hoping for the best," officials said Sunday.
- A woman clapped back at her anti-gay neighbor using festive rainbow Christmas lights 🎄👏