Ali from Food52 shares the food trends that she learned from the brightest geezers out there:
Forget all the lists of 2015 food trend predictions written by food professionals. Our grandparents might be a little fuzzy on the definition of “food trend,” but they’ve actually weathered quite a few.
They knew a time when gluten was good. Jello salad, too.
While 2015 was the year of the pasta pie, our grandparents are on to something else: “A pasta with a cheese layer and then another pasta. It’s a pasta sandwich. You bake the pasta with the cheese, then you fry it, and then you make the sandwich.” (We know what’s up, Eater.)
5. “Exotic foods (ones that require a lot of shipping and water and resources) will become un-PC and discouraged.”
Did they ever really go away though, grandma? Get the recipe for this chocolate ombre cake here.
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will visit Pearl Harbor in Hawaii later this month — the first Japanese leader to do so.
- Donald Trump has picked retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson to be his secretary of housing and urban development.
- The far-right candidate in Austria's presidential election has conceded defeat, obstructing the advance of the global populist movement in Europe.
- A woman clapped back at her anti-gay neighbor using festive rainbow Christmas lights 🎄👏