I Let Twitter Run My Life For A Day, And Here's What Happened
After moving to Berlin, I decided to see if living my life according to Twitter polls could help me mix things up and get to know my adopted city better.
1. I set myself up to go to a sad museum in the rain.
2. At the museum, I learn about collective potty breaks in East Germany.
3. After that I headed to one of Berlin’s "alternative" neighborhoods.
4. Twitter lead me to street art and sex toys.
Finally, on Oranienstrasse, we found a cozy burrito stop known as Santa Maria. I had been there before, but it was still lovely.
5. First, Twitter sent me to a nice, cozy bar...
6. ...and then we ended up at a bar where the furniture is on the ceiling.
7. Next, I ate Persian food for the first time.
8. My responsible Twitter followers discouraged me from buying drugs.
But it was largely ignored. My friend Maggie sent me a message saying, "YOU CAN'T ASK TWITTER THAT!"
I had no intention of doing drugs, but it seems my tweeps are apparently mostly good-hearted, law-abiding individuals. No drugs for me.
9. Instead of doing anything illegal, I headed to the happiest bar in Berlin.
10. At the last stop of the evening, despite my expert flirtation techniques, I went home alone.
Did things get really crazy? No. But I think I will try this experiment more often while I'm traveling.
Truthfully, I expected a little more chaos in this experiment, because I've had some odd experiences so far in Berlin. A few nights ago, an stranger recited love poetry to me in the street. Recently I stayed out all night until noon, just chatting with a friend at a shady 24-hour bar, not even realizing it was daylight outside. But it seems to be a general rule of nature that when you set yourself up for the unexpected, things don't necessarily work out that way.
On the other hand, it was fun to do a whole bunch of things I normally wouldn't. I doubt Persian food would have been my first choice for dinner, and getting up early on a Saturday morning to visit a museum? Nuh-uh. Not me. So I do think I'll definitely try polling my followers again, in the future, and in other places. Who knows where I'll end up?