1. Learning how to survive without data if you didn't have an international phone plan.
2. Finding replacements for your favorite American foods like peanut butter and mac and cheese.
3. Trying to navigate public transportation, especially if there's a language barrier.
4. Figuring out the best time to contact your family and friends with the time difference.
5. Having to ask for water, and sometimes even pay for it.
6. Paying to use the bathroom in public places.
7. Looking on Netflix for the show you started binge watching before abroad and finding it isn't available in your current country.
8. Trying your best to fit into the culture, even though you inevitably stick out.
9. Converting the exchange rate in your head vs. what it actually is.
10. Avoiding the art of pickpocketing.
11. Finding the cheapest airlines to book weekend trips.
12. Packing for a trip and stuffing everything you can into one small suitcase.
13. And then having to pay 50 euros when it's too big.
14. Trying to stay out as late as the locals.
15. Getting a big group to agree on an Airbnb or hostel.
16. Accepting that your new favorite restaurants won't be there when you get back to the U.S.
17. Making time to do your homework after reminding yourself you are abroad to study.
18. And lastly, restraining from talking about your abroad experience every chance you get because let's face it, not everyone will care.
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!