Unless otherwise specified, all sizes in this post are listed in women’s.
1. A handmade pair of leather huarache sandals so stunning, they'll rival those ancient ruins you traveled across the world to see. The platform design means you'll get a little extra height, but way more comfortably than wearing an actual heel.
Macarena Collection is based in Buena Park, California and specializes in colorful Mexican shoe and clothing design.
Promising review: "I unexpectedly had to walk five miles in the Florida heat and humidity but I had these shoes on and my feet didn’t hurt at all! Super cute and functional." —Tori Kuhn
2. A pair of iconic Dr. Martens Chelsea boots you'll feel so cool in, even if "edgy" is likely the last word anyone would use to describe you. Wear 'em with everything from cropped jeans to dresses, and enjoy feeling just a tad bit taller without fear of toppling over while the locals point and laugh.
FYI many reviewers say these run big, so consider sizing down!
Promising review: "I have been wearing Docs for years now, and this pair has to take first place for comfort. They're incredibly cute and versatile, can be dressed up or down, and just like any other pair are faithfully durable. Docs always run big so I sized a full size down and still comfortably wear them with thin-thick socks. I brought them on a long trip, wore them in various weather conditions like rain/snow/forest trails, and they worked great." —Stacy Cruz
Get it from Amazon for $97.45+ (available in sizes 5–11 and in two colors).
3. A pair of ultra-comfy Allbirds sneakers to wear on that walking tour you signed up for without realizing it was scheduled to last six hours 😬 They're designed to be flexible so they move with you, and on hot days you'll appreciate that they're made of breathable eucalytus-fiber.
P.S. They can be tossed in the washing machine when they start to get smelly, and they're made with renewable materials! ♻️
Promising review: "Just spent a week in Paris and these were the most comfortable shoes for hours of sightseeing and trekking around the city every day! My feet were happy, and they looked so cute with jeans and casual skirts, and were easy to keep clean, too. My new favorite shoes!" —Jessica G.
Get it from Allbirds for $105 (available in women's sizes 5–11 and in 10 colors).
4. Or, a bestselling Adidas running shoe with the phrase "Cloudfoam" in its name, so you know it's gotta be worth its 53,000+ 5-star reviews! These softies are designed to hug your foot for optimal comfort, and since they're super lightweight they're an over-packer's *dream*.
Promising review: "So comfortable. Walked around London for seven to eight hours and my feet were not the least bit sore! I recommended them to a friend who was taking a two-week vacation in Italy and she said the same...comfortable after hours and hours of walking!" —Christina
Get it from Amazon for $44.47+ (available in sizes 4.5–12 and 25 designs).
5. An iconic-for-a-reason Teva sandal to bring on any warm weather vacation, even if the only walking you plan on doing is going out to the hotel pool. The quick-drying material will keep you from sloshing around in wet shoes, while that signature strappy design ensures your feet stay put.
Plus, the rubber soles will come in handy on slippery surfaces!
Promising review: "Comfiest shoes on the planet. I bought them for my trip to Thailand, which included a heavy amount of walking and hiking. I now wear them all the time, even for nonadventurous activities. They are so darn comfortable, and have great grip." —Caroline V.
Get it from Amazon for $39.54+ (available in sizes 5–13 and 29 designs — not all designs available in all sizes).
6. A prerequisite pair of Birkenstocks for anyone who wants the most low-maintenance of shoes that'll go with everything from denim shorts to flowy dresses. Plus, the contoured footbed provides extra arch support for big walking days.
Promising review: "I love the Arizona style. They are easy to adjust and easy to slip on and off. I suffered from a heel spur and I was able to walk without pain when I changed over to the Arizona sandals. I took several pairs of shoes on vacation and never once did I switch over to a different pair. I can walk for long periods of time with comfort. They are my first choice of shoes." —Glenn B.
Get it from Amazon for $89.95+ (available in sizes 4–14.5, as well as in narrow sizes, and in dozens of designs — not all designs available in all sizes).
7. A pair of super supportive Dr. Scholl's kicks that'll become your go-to flying shoe once you see how TSA-friendly they are (easy on and off!) and how cushy they feel during your flight. Now if only that toddler in back of you would stop screaming...
FYI: These are made from recycled bottles!
Promising review: "I bought these shoes to wear on vacation to the Grand Canyon. I did a lot of walking on that trip, and my feet never hurt and I still looked cute. Then a few months later, we went to Durango, Colorado and did a ton of walking and again, my feet never hurt. I washed them and let them air dry several times over the next year and they came out great every time. They soon became my daily shoes to wear around the house. I have already bought a second pair to replace them so I can still look cute and be comfortable and wear the first pair when I water the garden. I would definitely recommend these shoes!" —J. Perkins
Get it from Amazon for $37.30+ (available in sizes 5–11, including wide sizes, and in 29 designs — not all designs available in all sizes).
8. A beautiful Tory Burch ballet flat specifically designed for travel, since it's flexible enough to fold up for easy packing. And not only that, the elastic back means you won't have a sharp edge digging into the back of your foot (the worst!).
Promising review: "I got these for a trip and love them! Tory's travel ballets are a beautiful soft leather, very comfortable, and will fit anywhere when traveling. I like all the fun colors but got black ones...will be getting another pair!" —lheff
9. Or if you're looking for a less splurgy option, a lovely flat that comes in so many gorgeous colors and prints, you probably won't be able to resist buying more than one pair. These also fold up for easy packing, and while the backs don't have that same elastic, reviewers say they still make for easy walking.
Those 25,000+ 5-star ratings don't lie!
Promising review: "I normally cannot wear flats because they give me terrible blisters on the back of my feet. These didn't! Bought these in nude for a city vacation with a lot of walking, but where sandals aren't necessarily worn and these were perfect! They obviously don't have the support of sneakers, but I am so happy to finally have a cheap pair of flats that don't give me blisters. I did break them in with thin socks on around my house before wearing them out and when possible, I wear them with little sock liners. Also — I was able to fold these in half like Tieks and fit them in a semi-small purse to change into to dance at a wedding! Score!" —Kate
Get it from Amazon for $21.40+ (available in sizes 5–15, including wide sizes, and in 37 designs).
10. A gorgeous leather slide for anyone who prefers a backless shoe (hooray for nothing digging into the back of your foot!). These come in an array of rich neutrals, so they'll absolutely go with the *many* outfits you packed.
MiucciaStudio is based in Indonesia, and specializes in the *dreamiest* handmade shoes and bags.
Promising review: "Love love love these!! I’ve been looking for the perfect pair of mules for months, I’m so happy I ordered these. They go with everything and super comfy. Shipping was right on time if not a little early." —Stacie Carlson
11. A classic pair of slip-on sneaks that should come with the slogan, "Come for the pretty color options, stay for the breathable canvas material and stretchy fit." And hey, while everyone else in your group is arguing about what to do next, you can admire your cute and comfy shoes.
Promising review: "I bought these to take on a trip, they arrived and I packed them without breaking them in — no worries, they are so comfortable, I wore them the whole trip. Love, love these shoes! This is my second pair, first have lasted a year and I wear the old ones still. They wash up nicely, too! Highly recommend!!!" —Lori M.
Get it from Amazon for $20.72+ (available in sizes 5.5–12, including select wide sizes, and in 19 designs).
12. A cute pair of Toms canvas cutout sandals I can envision you wearing as you tour the gardens of some famous palace before heading to a waterfront lunch. Oh, and those thick straps and chunky heel will make your feet feel secure and stable the entire time.
Promising review: "I'm obsessed with this shoe! I love that it fits like a bootie. Adorable with skinny jeans/leggings, dresses, etc. Can be dressed up or down — I wore them to a wedding in Greece, and also out and about during the day in Spain. Very comfortable for walking, dancing, whatever!" —jasmineflower
Get it from Amazon for $49.99+ (available in sizes 5–12 and nine styles).
13. A chunky pair of Fila platform sneakers for days when you want a little boost of height...but have hours of walking on your itinerary. Never fear, these cushy bad boys will take you from one sightseeing excursion to the next, and the only painful thing you'll have to endure is your tour guide's corny jokes.
Promising review: "My new everyday sneaker. I love the design and I love the small platform to give me height! They are so comfortable too, I’ve worn them to the zoo walking for hours and my feet didn't hurt. I love these shoes and am so glad I finally bought them!" —Meredith Johnstone
Get it from Amazon for $28.74+ (available in sizes 6–10 and 26 designs — not all designs available in all sizes).
14. A flexible pair of water shoes that are — dare I say — cute?! I know, it doesn't seem possible, but these quick-drying, anti-slip bbs are a far cry from those cringe-y clown shoes you probably wore as a kid (though just as comfy!).
Promising review: "These are super comfortable. Bought a pair for every member of my family for vacation at the waterpark. Has just enough cushion to make walking all day comfortable but light enough that they were not cumbersome. Great price point, too!" —Teresa Howell
Get it from Amazon for $27.95+ (available in sizes 5.5–15.5 and 43 styles).
15. A beachy slip-on with faux laces for anyone who likes the look of a sneaker, but would rather spend time taking in the sights than retying their shoes every few minutes. Plus, if your feet are on the wider side, many reviewers said these aren't too narrow 🙌
P.S. These have 16,000+ 5-star ratings!
Promising review: "I purchased these prior to our family beach trip. I found out I was pregnant and needed some type of support when walking around on vacation, rather than flat flip-flops. I read the reviews for these shoes and they were raving. I see why!! These could sell for more money but are reasonably priced. Great quality. There are no laces to tie — elastic bands. I really love these with or without socks. They are roomy but not too big width-wise. This is not a very narrow shoe. I would recommend this shoe for anyone traveling as the go-to shoe. They’re easy to get on and get off. Super stylish." —Nicole_B
Get it from Amazon for $14.59+ (available in sizes 5.5–11 and dozens of colors).