33 Things To Make All Your Holiday Cooking As Easy As, Well, Pie
First time hosts, this one's for you.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. An instant-read thermometer to keep you from overbaking cakes, pies, and any other holiday goodies you want to keep from being too well done. As they say, there's nothing worse than a dry dessert (they = me).
2. A Hamilton Beach stand mixer you can use to crank out pretty much any carb you plan on serving, from cinnamon rolls for breakfast to figgy pudding for dessert. And don't forget the homemade whipped cream!
3. Or, a cordless KitchenAid electric hand mixer that reeeally comes in handy when all of your outlets are being occupied by other cooking appliances. It has seven speeds for everything from easy stirring to intense whipping, and can mix dough for dozens of cookies on a single charge.
4. A kitchen measurement conversion magnet you can stick on your fridge as an easy reference whenever you need to know how many tablespoons are in 1/3 cup. No more having to look it up on your phone with butter-coated hands!
5. An *incredibly* helpful digital timer that lets you set four individual countdowns at once AND comes with a whiteboard so you can clearly label which one is for the Brussels sprouts and which one is for the sweet potatoes. BRB, my bad-at-multitasking self is crying tears of joy.
6. An Oxo fat separator, because who wants to be skimming the fat off of a pan full of gravy with a spoon right before the meal? With this absolute lifesaver, just pour your gravy in and let it do the separating for you. 🙏
7. A silicone baking mat that'll end any spatula versus cookie sheet battles for good. No sticky residue, and just think of all the money (and trees!) you'll be saving by cutting down on parchment paper. Plus, they're great for rolling out pie and cookie dough when you don't want to make a mess of your counter.
8. An adjustable rolling pin for when the pastry dough recipe says to roll out to a quarter of an inch thick, and you really don't want to have to measure that yourself. This set comes with four sizes of removable rings you can screw on depending on how thin or thick you want your dough to be, and has measurement markings right on the roller itself, so you can easily gauge the length and width of your dough as well. *Genius*
9. A reusable bowl cover that's perfect for proofing bread, rolls, or any other yeast-based baked goods you want on your table. It's an eco-friendly alternative to plastic wrap, and can be cleaned in the washing machine.
10. A set of dual-sided measuring spoons with both rounded and ovular ends to fit inside jars of all shapes and sizes. They're also magnetic and can be stacked atop one another to take up less space — plus, this set comes with a handy leveler to give you clean measurements.
11. A Tovolo silicone spatula you'll be reaching for pretty much every time you whip up some holiday cake batter or cookie dough.
12. Some pie stencils to trick your guests into thinking you're a seasoned pastry artist. No one needs to know about the crack in your key lime creation thanks to a little strategic dusting of powdered sugar.
13. A 6-quart Lodge Dutch oven so gorgeous (those color options!), you'll forget you ever lusted over that "French brand" altogether. Oh, and you can also use it to cook practically anything you want, either on the stove top or in the oven. I'm thinking stuffing, stuffing, and more stuffing.
14. A chic cross-back apron (with pockets!) to protect your clothing from the inevitable flour clouds and saucy explosions you'll encounter during meal prep. It's so cute that you'll *almost* want to wear another apron over this one, but you can just toss it into the washing machine when it's time to clean. My favorite part? The fact that it won't dig into the back of your neck the whole time you're in the kitchen!
15. Wilton cake strips for the perfectionist who wants impossibly smooth, flat layers without having to lop off any domed tops in the process (the domes are often like, a third of the cake!). All you have to do is adjust the strips to fit your pans, wet them, wrap them around your cake pans, and stick everything in the oven for super profesh-looking layers.
16. And, a Wilton cake leveler so you can evenly split your layers in half without being at the mercy of a serrated knife, which pretty much always leads to a comically jagged and slanted cut. Adjust the blade to your desired height using the measurement guide, then just saw through your cake.
17. Some Baker's Joy no-stick baking spray to ensure your family's passed-down Bundt cake recipe comes out of the pan perfectly intact every. single. time.
18. An Oxo angled liquid measuring cup that allows you to see how much you're pouring from above, rather than having to pour, crouch down to read the measurement from the side, then adjust. Seriously where has this been all my life?
19. A pair of extra-long oven mitts, because as someone who used to bake for a living, take it from me: Your wrists and forearms are the most vulnerable when it comes to oven burns, so it's wise to keep that area as covered-up as possible! Plus, a little extra protection will boost your confidence when it comes to taking piping hot cooking vessels in and out of the oven.
20. A Black + Decker electric knife to effortlessly slice through your turkey, ham, or whatever roast you're cooking up this year. For peace of mind, it comes with a safety lock feature to keep it from accidentally turning on when it's plugged in!
21. A digital scale that'll give you the most accurate measurements, especially when it comes to baking ingredients like flour. Scooping flour into a measuring cup can yield wildly different results depending on how tightly it's packed, which is why using a scale can keep your end product from being too dry (the WORST!). Plus, you'll have way fewer measuring tools to clean!
22. A seriously genius Wilton three-tiered collapsible cooling rack to cool up to three dozen cookies at a time without taking up a ton of counter space. You can also use it for cakes, pies, or anything else that would benefit from air circulation while cooling down.
23. An unassuming bowl scraper that looks like a simple piece of flexible plastic but will help your batters turn out nice and homogenous, as well as loosen bread doughs from the bottom of your mixing bowl. It's important to incorporate everything that gets stuck to the sides of your bowl when mixing, and this handheld tool gets the job done quickly.
24. Some sturdy Oxo mixing bowls equipped with nonslip bottoms, so you can whisk your whipped cream to your heart's content without worrying about everything flying off the counter. They also have convenient pouring spouts and are BPA-free and dishwasher-safe.
25. A nifty herb leaf remover that separates the leaves from the stem in one fell swoop. That's right, no more picking each leaf off individually, and no more unpleasant stems sneaking their way into your food. 🙌
26. An easy-to-grip Oxo cookie scoop to ensure your balls of cookie dough are consistent in size. Not only will they look prettier that way, they'll all finish baking at the same time, too! I mean, we all know how seriously you take your cookie swaps.
27. A Crock-Pot slow cooker that'll take all the work out of making that pot roast recipe you bookmarked (but you should definitely take all the credit!). Just set it and forget it — now, you'll have plenty of time to focus on your least-likely-to-start-chaos place card strategy. 😬
28. A stainless-steel roasting pan you'll want to have if you're on turkey duty this year (or if you just like roasting things in general). It comes with a rack for even air circulation and a lid to seal in those meaty juices.
29. A lace-patterned rolling pin for imprinting intricate designs onto cookie and pie doughs. Yes, you can pretend it took you hours when everyone starts complimenting your handiwork!
30. A versatile Hamilton Beach food processor to save you So. Much. Prep. Time. Not only does it come with a reversible disc for slicing and/or shredding, it's also a "whiz" at pureeing (pumpkin pie filling, we're coming for ya).
31. An immersion blender containing more attachments than your boss's emails (but you'll actually want to open these). Love making soup but hate burning yourself when it's time to transfer the mixture to a blender to make it smooth? This handy tool takes the transfer step out altogether, so everything stays in the pot and off of you.
32. A pie crust shield to keep those edges from getting too much color while the interior finishes baking. So much easier than having to tent with foil!
33. And last but certainly not least, a cushy kitchen mat your legs will thank you for during your epic cooking marathon. Now, time to prop your feet up and FEAST!
Your guests the second you place your perfectly-baked pie on the table:
The reviews for this post have been edited for length and clarity.