1. Ben Jackson is a lot like any other 21-year-old. He’s a full-time college student, a sports enthusiast, and an adventure seeker.
4. As a child growing up, Ben was always energetic and passionate about sports. The first sport he was heavily involved with was basketball. And although it wasn’t easy for him, Ben showed the determination and work ethic that most kids his age didn’t have.
In eight grade along with every season that followed, the wrestling coaches had an open practice for anyone that wanted to come try out for the sport. When I first walked into the wrestling room I had no idea what to expect, but I knew if I worked hard then anything was possible.
7. After losing all 24 matches in his first year, Ben said “the easiest thing to do was quit.” But he didn’t because he saw progress in every match.
“In every match I would get closer to success, even if that meant being on the mat for an extra second than I was in my previous match.”
8. After that season, Ben trained extremely hard, constantly pushing himself and not settling for anything less. His training regime for wrestling consisted of six days of practice (Monday through Friday after school, and Saturday mornings).
Training usually included cardio, weight lifting, and wrestling moves. Ben told BuzzFeed that he would work on his moves until they became “second nature.”
It was intense, but I knew that if I quit, my opponent was just getting started.
“After winning my first match in ninth grade I felt a sense pride in myself, family, coaches and teammates, because without their support that first win would have not been possible.”
In five years I have hopes of traveling the world and impacting as many lives as possible, not only through my actions, but also through my words. In college I am a Communications major, and I plan on being a motivational speaker.
- Donald Trump wants President Obama to be investigated, saying he knew about Hillary Clinton's private email server 📩
- Should opioid users who've repeatedly overdosed be forced to get drug treatment? Some politicians say yes.
- 🔎 Transgender rights: How the bathroom fight is dividing top LGBT leaders and could change the future of the movement.
- A dad is bringing his 6-year-old son's drawings to life with the help of Photoshop 🖊💭