Not all “character issues” or “character red flags” or “character concerns” are weighted equally for a prospect in the NFL Draft, yet they fall under the same amorphous umbrella. We examined scouting reports produced by four NFL scouting databases — NFLDraftScout.com, NFL.com, ESPN Scouts Inc., and WalterFootball.com — and broke down the scope and substance of the concerns that may plague the top 250 players in this year’s draft class.
Additional notes on criminal dispositions:
• Kyle Long received no jail time conditional on his staying out of trouble for two years.
• Cornelius Washington was ordered to perform 65 hours of community service following his DUI/speeding arrest, got put on probation, and had to complete an alcohol education program.
• In the domestic violence matter involving Sanders Commings, he was sentenced to 12 months probation and ordered to perform 40 hours of community service, undergo anger management counseling, and submit to a substance abuse evaluation.
• Michael Buchanan was given a reduced charge for careless or negligent driving, fined $200, and put on probation with no jail time assuming good behavior. He did not face charges in the altercation that left him with a broken jaw in 2012.
• The disposition of Kiko Alonso’s DUI charge is unclear, but he was suspended for the entirety of the 2010 season. In the other matter, Alonso pleaded guilty to criminal trespassing and was sentenced to 120 hours community service and an alcohol rehabilitation program and was ordered to pay restitution.
• DeVonte Holloman was suspended one game following his DUI arrest, but the legal determination is unclear.
• Alec Ogletree’s DUI case is still pending.
• Micah Hyde pleaded guilty to interference but not public intoxication.
• Jake Stoneburner pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and his scholarship was revoked.
• Sam Montgomery did not face charges stemming from the 2011 fight.
• Charges against Da’Rick Rogers for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest charges were dismissed, and he was ordered to perform community service.
• Hugh Thornton was not charged after the bar fight but was ordered to perform 100 hours of community service.
• Montee Ball was ultimately ticketed about $400 in the block party trespassing matter; a couple hundred UW students were ticketed as well.
• Trespassing charges against Jordan Poyer were later dismissed.
• Trespassing charges against Kenny Vaccaro were ultimately dropped; the resolution of his assault charge is unclear.
• The outcome of the interference charge against Tony Jefferson is unclear.
CORRECTION: Damontre Moore played for Texas A&M; Jordan Poyer played for Oregon State. An earlier version of this post listed their schools incorrectly. (5/6/13)
- It's the third day of the Democratic National Convention. Here's where things stand 🇺🇸
- Prosecutors have dropped remaining charges against Baltimore police officers related to the death of Freddie Gray.
- 12 states will support Obama's transgender policies in court after other states sued to block the rules.