1. Hail the size of tomatoes rained down on Sydney on Thursday afternoon in a storm the Insurance Council of Australia has declared a catastrophe.
2. With reports of hail almost 8 centimetres wide, Sydney copped an absolute drubbing all over – in the west, on the north shore, and in the city itself.
3. Videos of Sydney's iconic harbour being pelted with hail stones went viral as the storm ushered in a wave of photos and clips showing the full extent of the damage.
4. Like seriously...
5. It was pretty intense.
6. Cars were smashed...
8. Just the sound of it was intense.
9. It almost looked like it had been snowing in the city.
10. As it did in the suburbs...
13. And everyone was taking photos to display the size of the stones.
17. On Friday morning, NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian tweeted that emergency services were working hard to fix up the damage before Christmas.
Brad Esposito is a news reporter for BuzzFeed and is based in Sydney, Australia.
Contact Brad Esposito at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.