8 ounces strawberries
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
21⁄2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1⁄4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 1⁄2 tablespoons powdered sugar, for garnish
1. Rinse strawberries using two sheets of Bounty, unperforated.
2. Slice the strawberry tops off, then cut the strawberries into 1⁄4-inch pieces. Set aside in a mixing bowl.
3. Stir together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, salt, and lemon zest. Once mixture is well combined, fold in the strawberries. Set aside.
4. Cut the croissants in half but leave one end attached so that they open like a book. Spread the strawberry mixture inside of the croissants and close them.
5. Whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Dip croissants in batter to coat
6. Melt a pat of butter and a few drops of vegetable oil (helps to keep the butter from burning) in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Place the croissants in the pan and cook until golden brown on the first side. Flip the croissants and use the back of the spatula to press the croissants flat. Cook until golden brown on the second side.
7. Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar and extra strawberries.