1. Wood + Iron Table by HomeMade Modern
Despite the size and cost, this is one of our most popular projects. That makes sense because if you’re going to take the time to make something, it might as well be something that would otherwise cost a lot of money. A similar table from Restoration Hardware or Crate & Barrel could easily cost more than $1,000.
Click here to See the Video
Wood + Iron Table by Real People
Wood + Iron Tables by Bob W. (left) and Kristen R. (right)
This project consistently turns out great. The more warped and nicked the wood, the more rustic and industrial the table looks. A table like this is perfect for someone with limited wood-working skills because it’s supposed to look rough.
Result: The user-submitted tables look just as good as the original. In both cases the users were able to change the size of the table to better fit their homes. Good looks, easy construction and a customizable size is what makes this project popular.
2. Bucket Stool by HomeMade Modern
We’ve seen this project built by people on 4 different continents. It’s quick and simple but doesn’t always come out perfect. Common issues people have are the concrete sticking to the bucket, using too much water and the having uneven legs. Thankfully, concrete is cheap and if it doesn’t work the first time, clean the bucket and try again.
Bucket Stool by Real People
Result: The user-submitted stools came out great. Taking the time to create a nice-looking scene can get you a lot more likes when you post your DIY creations on social media. Search #HomeMadeModern on Instagram to see more bucket stools by real people.
3. Plywood Media Console by HomeMade Modern
The plywood media console takes a lot of cutting and screwing. Nevertheless, that didn’t stop people from making this layered media manager and customizing it to fit their specific storage needs.
Plywood Media Console by Real People
Media Console by Jonathan C.
This is a great example of how a DIY concept can be modified and adapted. Jonathan used the idea of staking plywood and reconfigured the layout for his own needs. He even added in a cabinet door.
Result: Jonathan was able to cleanly replicate the stacked plywood technique and adapt the design to better fit his needs.
5. Geometric Doghouse by HomeMade Modern
The geometric doghouse is a tricky project and I didn’t expect a lot of people to attempt this DIY. I completely underestimated the lengths people will go to make cool things for their pets.
Geometric Doghouse by Real People
Arthur the dog, Sylvia the cat and Nightmare the cat got stylish new geometric homes that also nicely double as modern end tables.
Result: These dog/cat houses turned out really well. A few simple adjustments in size make this project great for best friends of all pet varieties.
- Rick Perry, who famously wanted to abolish the Energy Department, said at his confirmation hearing to lead the Energy Department he now rejects "recommending its elimination."
- Vladimir Putin has used KGB tactics to seize on a rift between the US and Turkey, an effort to expand Russia's influence and divide NATO.
- Donald Trump's pick for treasury secretary, Steve Mnuchin, defended at his confirmation hearing using offshore tax shelters, saying it was an inevitable result of current tax codes.
- Been wondering why your friends now look like weird glamorous cartoons? That's thanks to Chinese selfie app Meitu. Say cheese 📸