Supplies + Tools
2×12 8’ Long
Available at Home Depot
An 8 foot long 2×12 makes a sturdy bench. If you want a shorter bench, you can have one of the nice Home Depot employees cut down a 2×12 to your desired size.
Iron Bench Legs
Available at the HomeMade Modern Store
This set includes four 16” high legs and screws to make your bench. The legs are handmade in the USA from raw steel.
Available at Lion Brand Yarns
We used 4 skeins of a super bulky weight yarn with a weight category of 6. We used the “starlight” color. If anyone has any suggestions for a more eco-friendly alternative, please email me. The cover was knit as a flat piece, using a circular needle and a “seed stitch”. It was seamed together so that you could slip it on and adjust it accordingly.
Available at Amazon.com
I finished the bench with a coat of Danish oil.
5. Attach the legs.
I used my RYOBI cordless drill to screw the legs to the underside of the bench. 2×12s tend to be a bit warped so you may need to insert a few screws between the plate on the legs and the wood on one or two of the legs to level it.
6. Slide on the knitted sleeve.
I put the sleeve on last because I didn’t want to get it dirty while I was screwing on the legs. I loosened the lacing on the sleeve and slid it on over the legs. I then tightened and tied the lacings and tucked them under the knit part so they wouldn’t hang down and be visible.
- The Army Corps of Engineers and North Dakota police have ordered protesters to leave the Dakota Access Pipeline site by this afternoon or face arrest.
- Seven Earth-sized planets that could have water and possibly sustain life have been discovered orbiting a dwarf star, NASA announced today.
- The ACLU is suing the city of Milwaukee and its police for allegedly performing thousands of illegal stop-and-frisk searches that targeted minorities.
- #Peggygate: West Elm offers full refunds for the notoriously disintegrating Peggy Couch days after pulling it from its website and stores👏