1. First, figure out which size straightener is best for your hair type.
The general rule is the shorter the hair, the thinner the flat iron. For people with longer, thicker hair, a wide flat iron is best.
2. And know the difference between the different types of straighteners.
Use the chart above to figure out which kind you should be using.
3. Before you do anything, use a heat protectant spray like this one.
Putting 365 degrees of heat directly on your hair can cause dryness, breakage, and overall fried hair. Spritz on a heat protectant spray while your hair is damp to put a barrier between the flat iron and your hair.
4. Set the heat no higher than 365 degrees.
Hair burns at the same temperature as paper: 451°F. The highest temperature that you should use your flat iron on is 365°F. For those with fine hair, the temperature should be between 300 and 325 degrees.
10. Get perfectly smooth hair by using a straightening comb and your flat iron at the same time.
The straightening comb will detangle and help the hair sit flat while the straightener does its job. See the full video here.
Get a straightening comb here for $6.99.
Now for some maintenance tips:
Looking for more hair-hacks? Check out 27 Underrated Hair Products That Actually Work.
- It's Inauguration Day — Donald Trump will be sworn in as the 45th president of the United States of America at 12 p.m. ET 🇺🇸
- One of the nation's top legal groups is seeking a wide array of records from four federal agencies to challenge Trump's potential business conflicts.
- Notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán has been extradited to the United States to face multiple charges.
- Gingers rejoice! A redhead emoji may be coming your way soon 🙌