14 Food Waste Facts That Might Change The Way You Cook, Shop, And Eat
Around 52% of America's fresh produce goes uneaten.
If you’re anything like me, your folks were militant about not wasting food when you were a kid.
If you're not convinced, here are some facts that will probably leave you feeling determined to change your most wasteful habits for good:
1. Every year we throw away 40% of our food supply — a fact that's pretty outrageous considering one in six Americans doesn't have access to enough food.
4. Forty two million people are "food insecure" in the United States, including 13 million children and 5.4 million seniors.
6. Food waste is the single-biggest occupant of American landfills.
7. And the amount we waste grows more and more every year.
9. Nuts also require a surprising amount of water per pound: 1,929 gallons for almonds and 1,704 gallons for cashews.
14. And 90% of Americans needlessly toss food too soon due to a basic misunderstanding of sell-by and use-by dates.
PS. Do you care about your community, the environment, and the general state of the world? Well, don't forget to sign up to vote in the 2018 midterm elections!
Learn more about your state's important election dates here!