1. These are Cronuts, and they are perfect in every way.
2. Cronut = the shape, fried-ness, and creamy interior of a doughnut + the flaky, delicate pastry layers of a croissant.
3. The Cronut’s creator is the French pastry chef Dominique Ansel, of Dominique Ansel Bakery in New York.
Ansel is a 2013 James Beard Award finalist for Outstanding Pastry Chef. And if there is any justice in the world, he should receive a Lifetime Achievement award for blessing this nation with the Cronut.
4. Dominique Ansel tried about ten different recipes over two months before perfecting the Cronut.
5. They are made with a special laminated Cronut dough, similar to croissant dough, but with a few key differences.
It gets sheeted (rolled out) to a different thickness and assembled with a different set of folds.
10. This is what it looks like on the inside.
Make sure to cut it with a serrated knife so you don’t crush the beautiful layers.
11. Right now the maximum number of Cronuts a single person can buy is six. They come in this gold box.
13. Cronuts have a short shelf-life (6 hours) and are meant to be eaten immediately.
14. The Cronut flavors will change every month. May’s flavor is Rose Vanilla and June’s is Lemon Maple. One of these things will cost you $5.00.
15. Even crazier than the Cronut itself is the line outside the bakery in the morning.
waiting in line for a cronut is the new cronut RT @andreaklang another line of hungry foodies outside my window.
16. By 8:15am on Thursday (May 23), only 15 minutes after the bakery was open, the Cronuts were sold out.
17. People have gotten a little worked up about missing out on Cronuts.
It is not okay to flip off our baristas because we are out of cronuts. Wtf!
18. Sometimes more than a little.
@firstwefeast One woman legitimately cried…we felt so bad, we looked everywhere to find her the last remaining cronut.
19. Forget cupcakes; Cronuts are hot enough to straight-up replace currency.
@DominiqueAnsel just bribed us for table w #cronut Come on in sir….
20. Oh, and the bakery has trademarked the name “Cronut,” so hands off.
Hi folks, cronut officially trademarked today.
- Athletes probably won't break records at the Rio Olympics. In most events, top performers have already reached the limits of human biology, scientists say.
- Some Bernie-or-Busters protested Hillary Clinton's DNC speech, but a tightly organized plan — from chants to secret allies — kept heckling off TV.
- Sixteen people have died after a hot air balloon crashed in Texas.