Lucy Hallowell wrote at AfterEllen, “You tell us there might be lesbians on a television show and we’ll come sit on your feet until they appear.” The Fosters was on. We came. We sat. The season started off a little slow, with gay moms Stef (Teri Polo) and Lena (Sherri Saum) taking in foster child Callie (Maia Mitchell) because she has “issues” with “male authority figures.” Thank heaven for lesbians! Frankly, it was a little odd that everything with Callie went so smoothly: Callie dropped the word “dykes” at the dinner table, but that was a homophobia red herring; Callie seemed like she had a creepy boyfriend named Jude, but actually she had a scrawny little brother in peril named Jude (Hayden Byerly); Callie seemed like she was selling drugs, but actually Mariana (Cierra Ramirez) was selling drugs. But then! Then the feelings started. Stef and Lena’s relationship got deeper and more complex. Callie and Brandon (David Lambert) developed forbidden affections that are slightly inappropriate but mostly very sweet. Mariana and Jesus (Jake T. Austin) lied for each other and sacrificed for each other. Jude needed a lot of championing.
In preparation for the season finale tonight, here are some of the tear-jerker moments from the first season:
2. When Callie and Jude are reunited.
A brother and a sister have a single heart.
Stocking up on tissues for the wedding.
- Thousands have made it to the Women's March on Washington to stand up for women's rights and protest Donald Trump.
- Crowds for the Women's March in Washington, DC, are turning out to be much larger than for the inauguration so far.
- People are participating in the Women's March today all the way in Antarctica, surrounded by penguins ❄️
- "We shall overcomb." People across America are getting creative and making some pretty epic signs for the Women's March.