Lucy Hallowell wrote at AfterEllen, “You tell us there might be lesbians on a television show and we’ll come sit on your feet until they appear.” The Fosters was on. We came. We sat. The season started off a little slow, with gay moms Stef (Teri Polo) and Lena (Sherri Saum) taking in foster child Callie (Maia Mitchell) because she has “issues” with “male authority figures.” Thank heaven for lesbians! Frankly, it was a little odd that everything with Callie went so smoothly: Callie dropped the word “dykes” at the dinner table, but that was a homophobia red herring; Callie seemed like she had a creepy boyfriend named Jude, but actually she had a scrawny little brother in peril named Jude (Hayden Byerly); Callie seemed like she was selling drugs, but actually Mariana (Cierra Ramirez) was selling drugs. But then! Then the feelings started. Stef and Lena’s relationship got deeper and more complex. Callie and Brandon (David Lambert) developed forbidden affections that are slightly inappropriate but mostly very sweet. Mariana and Jesus (Jake T. Austin) lied for each other and sacrificed for each other. Jude needed a lot of championing.
In preparation for the season finale tonight, here are some of the tear-jerker moments from the first season:
2. When Callie and Jude are reunited.
A brother and a sister have a single heart.
Stocking up on tissues for the wedding.
- Some of Donald Trump's diehard supporters say they have mixed feelings about watching — much less paying for — Trump TV.
- A powerful magnitude-6.1 earthquake struck Italy Wednesday night, hours after a smaller magnitude-5.5 quake struck the same region.
- Facebook keeps promoting fake news. Experts say its trending algorithm can't stop it—and it could get worse ❌📰
- Donald Trump bashed Hillary Clinton for going to an Adele concert after critics slammed him for promoting his new hotel.