1. The 100th episode of ABC’s Modern Family aired last night, and the show just won its fourth consecutive Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series. However, the jokes can be a little formulaic.
I watched the 100th episode, “Farm Strong,” and categorized all the jokes about the adult series regulars. There were 121. The “manipulation/lying” category includes jokes that are about one partner manipulating the other, or one or both partners manipulating someone else. Categories such as “Phil is an idiot” are self-explanatory. Here are the results.
Did you know that Gloria is not a native speaker of English?
2. Jokes about Phil and Claire
Claire (Julie Bowen) and Phil (Ty Burrell) decide to take a weekend off from watching their son’s soccer games to do errands. After she finishes her errands early, Claire goes to Luke’s (Nolan Gould) soccer game without Phil; to spare his feelings at having missed Luke’s great game, she pretends that she did not go to the game. Phil’s errand — cleaning the gutters — leads to the gruesome deaths of four baby birds. He eventually finds out that Claire went to the game after convincing him not to go, and he is upset.
3. Jokes about Mitch and Cam
Mitch (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) and Cam (Eric Stonestreet) try to hide their engagement from Cam’s sister, Pam (Dana Powell), since Cam is afraid Pam will be upset by the news. When Lily (Aubrey Anderson-Emmons) spills the beans, Pam is happy for them and reveals that she herself is engaged to Cam’s first crush, and she hadn’t mentioned it because she was afraid Cam would be upset by the news. Since she was correct and he is upset, Cam is faced with the realization that he is sensitive.
4. Jokes about Gloria and Jay
Gloria (Sofía Vergara) and Jay (Ed O’Neill) fight because Jay wants Gloria to get glasses, but she does not want to because she is vain. At the end of the episode, after it’s established that Jay needs a hearing aid, Jay and Gloria realize that they are both stubborn, and anyway, they will be better off if Jay can’t hear her and Gloria can’t see him.
- Barack Obama had his final press conference as president, defending his legacy and vowing to fight Trump if the nation's "core values may be at stake."
- Donald Trump's pick for health secretary, Tom Price, refused to say at his confirmation hearing whether or not he would cut Medicare and Medicaid.
- It's official: Scientists announced today that 2016 was the hottest year on record and that greenhouse gases are to blame ♨️️🌍
- "Will & Grace" will return for a 10-episode revival. Debra Messing and Eric McCormack will reprise their roles in the groundbreaking NBC sitcom 📺