The cult favorite makeup brand Lime Crime is probably known to a lot of you — even if you're not a gigantic makeup geek.
They're stocked on Nasty Gal and at Urban Outfitters. Want a pastel lip color? Chances are, for years, you went to Lime Crime. They've been riddled with controversy over the years regarding claims of makeup repackaging (allegedly sending beauty bloggers cease & desist letters for bringing it up), accusations of racism for their packaging, and more.
The latest issue is credit card fraud. Customers took the brand to task on their Instagram for fraudulent purchases on their statements traced back to their Lime Crime orders. They posted an initial apology on Instagram.
A few days later, they followed up with this Instagram apology and update.
So while we can't recommend you buy from Lime Crime to get your pastel lipstick fix, here are some other options.
Because no one should be without the deep purple matte lip look of their dreams.
1. Portland Black Lipstick Company, $12 a pop.
If one of the key reasons you love Lime Crime colors is the matte factor, you can make any non-matte lip color matte using tissue paper and translucent powder.
2. Then there is, of course, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, available at Sephora.
3. There's KA'OIR, with mid-range lipsticks in all shades of the rainbow.
4. NYX Macaron Lippies, $6 each.
Here's some swatches of the Macaron line. They have a metallic, jewel toned collection called Wicked, too.
Here's a direct comparison.
5. Colour Pop Cosmetics, for $5 a pop.
6. One of the most popular Lime Crime colors is "Salem" -- you can still get the look, and for way cheaper at the drugstore.
Jordana is available at virtually every CVS and Walgreens. This color is "Coco Loco" and it is $1.99 as opposed to $20.