Backpacking is mostly the best time in the world — except when sh*t gets real awkward.
1. "I got high in Amsterdam and was stuck in bed for 24 hours. Also dropped 20 Euros on vending-machine Snickers."
2. "I forgot shower shoes for the hostel bathroom, so I pulled an Orange is the New Black and wrapped some maxi pads around my feet. Clearly bought flip-flops the next day."
3. "I was backpacking the Scottish Highlands, and brought home a tiny bottle of water from the Loch Ness. But it spilled in my pack, soaking everything with nasty Loch water. The stench was truly aggressive. I was THAT stinky backpacker guy for weeks!"
4. "I got bed bugs my first night in Paris and brought them into my homestay — I was mortified."
5. "My friend and I were looking for a hostel in Vienna when we stumbled upon an accessible spot on the rooftop of the Hauptbahnhof, the main train station. We slept there, although it was extremely cold!"
6. "During a trek in Nepal, my stomach got upset while I was in my tent. I ran out to the 'bathroom,' but didn't make it — and it came out on both sides. Worst part? I had to clean my underwear with a bottle of water, and keep it with me—no trash cans."
7. "I was renting a room in this guy's apartment in Stockholm with a few others. One morning, I sat on the floor outside the bathroom to secure my place in line. When the door opened, out walked a naked man — and I was at eye level with you know what."
8. "My buddies and I were hiking through Havasupai in the Grand Canyon. We found a secluded swimming hole, and took a dip naked because we were so hot. Soon enough, an entire Girl Scout troupe showed up! Don't know who was more embarrassed: them or us."
9. "One of the girls in my hostel room in La Paz, Bolivia, was wasted drunk, so I decided to help her get into bed. Then all of the sudden, she started peeing. On me. Nice guy never wins, right?"
10. "I went to bed early, and got woken up by someone puking on my hostel pillow a couple hours later."
11. "I was attempting to climb the Mo Paeng waterfall in Thailand, but fell down — and couldn't get back up. Three local kids started to help me out, but in the process, they pulled down my pants."
12. "Got out of bed in my hostel in Manila in the Phillippines, and saw a bed sheet filled with poop on the floor."
13. "I was on a Geckos Adventure trip, and our leader Maria introduced us to her niece one night — and the next day, I thanked Maria in Spanish. I thought I said her niece is sweet, but I actually said, 'We had a great time. She's a very dirty girl!'"
14. "Woke up naked in the fetal position in a hostel room in Indonesia that wasn't mine. Apparently I got put in my own room because of my drunken exploits — and they made me pay for it. Sectioned."
15."Once when I was traveling in Manali Hill Station in India, I felt sick after lunch and had to rush home with my friend. But I couldn't make it all the way: I threw up into a rushing river that was a good 10-foot drop down, and everyone around us saw."
16. "I fell in with a rowdy group of Irish guys at my hostel in Berlin. At the end of the night, one guy pried off another's shoe at the bar, dropped trow, and made his business right there in his Oxfords. In the middle of the bar."
17. "I was backpacking in Ecuador, and I kept asking where the boardwalk by the water was. At least that's what I thought — it turns out that in my broken Spanish, I was uttering a horrible homosexual slur. No wonder I got so many outraged looks!"
Absurd, right? Remember these next time you find yourself in an awkward backpacking situation. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!