In July, J.Crew CEO Mickey Drexler publicly acknowledged that the brand has strayed, perhaps too far, from its preppy identity. The comment came in response to a Forbes article that went viral, in which a husband describes his wife’s complaint to J.Crew’s customer service email address. She wrote that she was “disheartened and disappointed that you are leaving your core values and styling and abandoning your loyal customers.” The customer is no doubt referring to the trendier sartorial direction the label took starting in 2008 after the hire of Jenna Lyons as creative director.
Drexler later emailed the woman, saying, “We are on it for sure, I hope you see a difference this fall.”
Less than a month after Drexler’s comments, “this fall” is here — with the release of the J.Crew September catalog. So, how does it stack up to last year’s issue? Has J.Crew made any aesthetic adjustments to better please the average consumer?
All pictures courtesy of J.Crew via Racked.
12. Do you think the collection looks more mall store than runway darling? What do you think of J.Crew’s new old look?
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists says they've discovered an 8th continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- A Texas girl celebrated her 6th birthday with an absolutely amazing Selena-themed party 🎤🌹