2. Henry, the roughly 115-year-old tuatara. If his age estimate is correct, Henry was born the same year as Al Capone.
After some minor difficulties in 2009, Henry managed to produce offspring with another tuatara named Mildred at the age of 111. After all these years, he’s still got it!
6. The orange roughy is a deep-sea fish that doesn’t reach full sexual maturity until it’s 20 years old, and can live to be 150! That would mean the oldest known orange roughy was born the same year Abraham Lincoln was re-elected.
8. This is Lonesome George, the roughly 100-year-old Galápagos giant tortoise. If we were to assume that George is exactly 100 years old, that means he was born the same year that Charlie Chaplin made his film debut.
Sadly, Lonesome George passed away in 2012.
10. Ming, the 507-year-old clam. Ming was born only 15 years after Columbus arrived in America, and roughly 57 years before the estimated birth of William Shakespeare.
At the time of Ming’s controversial death, he was believed to be roughly 400 years old. It was later discovered that he was 507!
11. The bowhead whale can live upwards of 200 years. That would mean that the oldest known bowhead whale was born when the Napoleonic Wars were reaching their climax.
Check out this badass bowhead whale that survived a harpoon attack 130 years ago.
17. Turritopsis dohrnii is a breed of jellyfish that is IMMORTAL. They win. There may or may not be a Turritopsis dohrnii out there that predates human civilization.
To put it simply, the Turritopsis dohrnii recycles old cells through a process called transdifferentiation, in which one cell is turned into another type of cell.
- Donald Trump wants President Obama to be investigated, saying he knew about Hillary Clinton's private email server 📩
- Should opioid users who've repeatedly overdosed be forced to get drug treatment? Some politicians say yes.
- 🔎 Transgender rights: How the bathroom fight is dividing top LGBT leaders and could change the future of the movement.
- A dad is bringing his 6-year-old son's drawings to life with the help of Photoshop 🖊💭