1. At the 12-12-12 Sandy relief concert Wednesday night, Kanye West performed wearing a leather a-line skirt over his leather pants.
To go with his manly gold statement bracelet and wrist warmers, of course. Anyway, after this Givenchy kilt appeared on stage, slung low on Kanye’s hips over a pair of slim-fitting leather trousers, it took on a life of its own — via a fake Twitter feed full of uninventive jokes about him raiding Kim Kardashian’s wardrobe, despite the fact that he wore it during the entire Watch the Throne tour starting last fall. Yet Kanye has been perfectly open about his attraction to women’s clothes in the past. In 2010 at New York Fashion Week, he told me he decided to wear a women’s blouse to sit front row at the Philip Lim show: “This is a women’s shirt [Phillip] had, and I just felt this color would be really, really nice on my skin.”
3. Kanye also titillated the fashion community when he wore this women’s Celine blouse in January.
With shiny mardi gras beads and bike chains around his neck.
5. And what of Kanye’s love of tunic tops?
A skirt is a natural evolution from a tunic top, which quite frankly just a mini-dress that would get harshly judged if worn without opaque pants underneath.
6. And check this one out: leather pants with asymmetrical pockets, plus a gray dress layered under a hoodie under a fur coat.
At least I think that’s fur, though it might be a very robust velvet or something.
7. This past year he also wore this dress-like get-up.
Unless it’s an apron?
(Also, Peggy Wang and I are unsure of whether or not these pants are odious waxed jeans or made of actual leather. Thoughts welcome in comments.)
8. And in 2011, he performed wearing the same leather skirt he wore on 12-12-12.
Now those definitely look like leather leggings. No wonder this man sweats so much on stage.
Maybe what he needs are a lot more skirts and a ban on buying new leather pants.
- An armed militant group is urging its members to patrol polling stations on election day, a move the group's leaders say is aimed at preventing voter fraud.
- As a bitter civil war in Yemen shows no signs of stopping, nearly 14 million people are struggling to feed themselves every day.
- The Obama administration delayed trans workers' protections for years after a landmark civil rights decision 🔎🌈
- Apple is expected to unveil a handful of updates to its Mac line today, including a new MacBook Pro📱 🍎