1. The Don’t: Tevas
You would never see a Teva — the shoe of river tubers, hippie parents, and people who forgot to pack their water moccasins — on someone who fancies herself “fashionable.” Probably the only person who could make these “cool” is Katie Holmes, because she really did a hell of a lot for those saggy, husband jeans, which are equally dorky. Without her to popularize the style, fashion designers had to go it alone with some leather versions.
2. The Don’t: Sweatshirt Tied Around the Waist
I take it this was cool when Anna Wintour did it in the ’90s but can you imagine making such a deliberate choice about it now? “Oh I know what this oversized white sweatshirt needs — another beige one around the waist.” Anyway, now thanks to one clever fashion designer, it is again a DO.
The Do: Philip Lim Sweatshirt Skirt With Tie Waist
Seems to be sold out at a bunch of places, but at least if you really want it this is damn easy to DIY with a tight skirt, an old gray sweater, and, like, a glue gun. Or just tie the thing you use to shield yourself from overly aggressive office air conditioners around your waist and call it a day.
5. The Don’t: Hideous Prints
It’s really not fair — if Kanye wore this it would be the kind of fashion statement that resonates worldwide. But Diddy just seems to lack that je ne sais quois Kanye possesses that allows him to effortless pull off effeminate (and in some case, actual women’s) clothing.
8. The Don’t: Varsity Letters
You know a guy has the right athletic outerwear — fleeces, sweatshirts, varsity jackets, etc. — when it’s the kind of thing their girlfriends won’t want to give back after they break up. There is no way Selena Gomez is fighting with Bieber over this. “A” isn’t even either of their first or last initials so it’s a fail all around.
- The Democratic National Convention kicks off today and it's already off to a rocky start. Here's what you need to know 🇺🇸🔔
- Two people were killed and at least 16 others were injured in a shooting outside a nightclub in Fort Myers, Florida.
- Verizon is buying Yahoo's core business for about $5 billion, ending the web pioneer's run as an independent company.