2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1⁄2 tsp. salt
1⁄4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
8 (1-inch) cubes of part skim mozzarella cheese
1⁄2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
Canola oil for frying
Marinara sauce for dipping
Fresh basil, for garnish
1. Combine brown rice, egg, parmesan, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and parsley in a medium mixing bowl. Cover and chill in refrigerator 30 minutes.
2. Take a small handful of chilled rice mixture and flatten in the palm of your hand.
3. Place a cube of mozzarella in center. Add an additional pinch of rice to cover the cheese and mold into a ball. Repeat the process until all rice is used. Chill the balls 15 minutes.
4. Dip each rice ball in flour and tap off any excess. Next, dip in beaten egg, then coat with bread crumbs. Chill rice balls while oil is heating.
5. Heat oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Fry the balls until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
6. Serve with marinara sauce.