1. Japanese-Style Ham & Cheese Croquettes (Korokke)
2. Here’s a video that shows you how to make them:
8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into medium-sized chunks
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup ham, chopped into small pieces
¾ cup cheese, chopped into small pieces
½ green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon milk
1 cup flour
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups panko bread crumbs
Oil, for frying
Shredded green cabbage, to serve
Tonkatsu sauce, to serve
1. Heat water in a pot to a simmer, then add the potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and stir.
2. Cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until a fork can easily pierce the potatoes.
3. Dry the potatoes on a towel, allowing them to steam to remove excess moisture, then transfer to a large bowl.
4. Mash the potatoes until no large chunks remain.
5. Add the ham, cheese, onions, the other teaspoon of salt, pepper, and milk.
6. Mix until evenly incorporated.
7. Shape the potato mixture into 2-inch discs.
8. Separate the flour, eggs, and bread crumbs into separate bowls.
9. Dredge the croquettes into the flour, shaking off any excess, then dip them into the eggs, and then coat them evenly in the bread crumbs.
10. Heat oil in a pot to 350°F/180°C.
11. Fry 2-3 croquettes at a time until golden brown, then drain on a rack or paper towels with a sprinkle of salt.
12. Cool, then serve with the cabbage and sauce.